I am the single parent of a 12yr.old boy with DMD.  Working full time and taking care of my son gets overwhelming sometimes as  many of you  well know.  We have been trying for a year now to find a care provider to help out.  We live in a rural area in Eastern Oregon.  Family helps out as much as they can but they have lives too.  I am wondering if any other parents out there are experiencing this same problem.  In Oregon we have programs to help pay for these providers, our problem is not in paying for the providers it is in finding providers.  They say lots of people are out of work...I can't seem to find anyone who wants to work...or they want to but, do not want to travel and it is only 20miles.  We have advertised in local paper, local employment office.  There is an organization trying to help us but now the program that helps pay for this is saying the rate of pay is too high.  It is getting frustrating and discouraging.  Anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue.

Views: 55

Replies to This Discussion

Have you talked to the Special Services Director for your school district? If they don't have one talk to the Superintendent for your schools. If they don't know, they will find someone who will. If you don't get anywhere with that (be persistent) What about your son's doctor? There has to be someone out there that can help you. Let me check with a friend in my neighborhood that works (in our area) with those types of agencies. Take care. If you don't hear from me in a few days, please send me a reminder.

Take care.

I found out some information from you. (i'm sorry if it's stuff you already tried)

The best place to start is with the following website:


It is the website for the oregon department of Human services. If you look half way down the page it says local offices. That will get you on the right track. If your son qualifies they can help with people to help you, medical costs, stuff like that. when you talk to them they can provide all kinds of information on the services available.

Also have you called your local MDA office. I think that they would be able to help you too.

Please let me know if these things help.

I will be thinking about you and your son.

Take Care


Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.



© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service