Tactile Sensitivities

Information

Tactile Sensitivities

A group for all the families that have children with tactile sensitivities, to share experiences and tips on how to deal with the additional issues this raises

Members: 41
Latest Activity: May 4, 2015

checklist (Extensive checklist of all symptoms associated with SID/SPD, in a printable format. Great to sit down and go through then take to your next neuro appointment if you have any concerns)

Presentation on Behavioural Issues with boys with DMD:
PPMD2007Poysky.pdf?docID=2227

Discussions

Our life with SID/SPD

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Denise Gionet Sep 20, 2010. 7 Replies

Yikes - A Sleep Study?!?!

Started by Karen Barnett. Last reply by Susan Nantais May 1, 2009. 2 Replies

Explaining the condition

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Cathie Bullis Apr 3, 2009. 1 Reply

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Tactile Sensitivities to add comments!

Comment by Rosalie on February 22, 2009 at 8:42pm
Hi I am an OT and the mother of a son with DMD. I wanted to mention two types of sensory interventions to ask your OT about one is the Wilbarger's Brushing Protocal and the second is Therapeutic Listening Program. Most of the kids I work with have senory issues so these are interventions that are used frequently with good results and the kids tolerate them well.
Comment by Jennifer Shumsky on February 21, 2009 at 8:56pm
We currently use Carters brand socks and those are the only one's Xavier will wear. Their standard athletic socks white with grey on the bottom, a bit large on him and look just like daddy's socks (for some reason that seems to make it better if it's like Dad's).
I have to say looking at the checklist, we have filled these out in the past, and looking back at where we were when we started at age 3 and now at age 7, I can't say enough good things about OT and what a world of difference a good OT program can do. Xavier has come so far, to the point that many issues have resolved.
One other interesting thing, I don't know if anyone else has this, but I on the other hand, over the past 2-3 years have gotten so much worse with my Sensory issues and now can check off a significant amount of the checklist at age 36. Makes me a more understanding parent of a child with sensory issues, but also makes life very difficult sometimes. Is it having to do with the carrier status or just plain luck? I keep trying to apply Xavier's home program to myself, but it's much easier to make your kid do something than to do it to yourself sometimes.
Comment by jessica and gary fluaitt on February 21, 2009 at 12:08am
I had never heard of SPD I just thought cody had alot of frustrating quirks,but when I looked at the checklist cody has so many of those issues. Is there any treatment for this?
Comment by Julie Gilmore on February 20, 2009 at 9:20pm
We don't turn the socks inside out, we just make sure they are quite large and we are blessed in that Mitch having pes cavus, he feet are still so small (and cute)...... that way we can have half an inch at the bottom that doesnt come in contact with his feet. The diabetic loose top socks are also a blessing in 2 ways, they don't constrict his ankles, and therefore impede his lymph drainage (which has been an issue with some boys over here in the heat) and they don't press any lumps and bumps against his skin......

Has everyone checked out the checklist? Its pretty daunting, but I am just about to print one out for his school, so they can not only see the condition is real, but what triggers Mitchell off... that way they can avoid the problems rather than having to deal with them when they arise.....
Have a great weekend.
Comment by Karen Barnett on February 20, 2009 at 1:27pm
I tried the turning the socks inside out because I heard it helps but it didn't for my son. He obsessed over the tiniest of threads sticking out from the ends of the seams. I was constantly trimming them. He also was still sensitive to the seam but it was not quite as bad.
Comment by Susan Nantais on February 20, 2009 at 11:59am
I noticed everyone mentionin socks, socks and socks. My son is 16 and we have gone through so many different pairs. Then I read somewhere to turn the socks inside out. No more problems. He does go "commando" under his pants/shorts though. He loves wearing very large boxers. Walmart has t-shirts that are tagless.
Comment by christine good on February 19, 2009 at 10:54pm
Funny thing,
Kian hates music class. Tonight is the music program for 2nd grade and we were politely aske dnot to come. I was actually relieved. Music class is like nails on the chalkboard for him. His only bad marks come from music.
Comment by christine good on February 19, 2009 at 10:45pm
We gave up on socks many months ago. No socks ever worked. Yes, his feet smell pretty bad, we use powder. He also will only wear long sleeve or no sleeve shirts and elastic waistband pants.
Comment by Karen Barnett on February 19, 2009 at 10:33pm
Yes, I can say socks!! The socks and shoes are the worst!! It can take 15 minutes some mornings just getting them right. Daniel's socks started driving him nuts again and I finally realized that they were "pilling". It was like having rocks in them to him! Bought him some new ones yesterday (Osh Kosh seamless socks) and we are good again - for now.
Karen
Comment by Kelvinsmom - Michelle on February 19, 2009 at 8:12pm
Yikes, can anyone say socks, socks, socks! Kelvin and his socks can drive me nuts, as well as the tags on his shirts. I've had to take his shoes off numerous times just to get the socks perfect. Thanks for adding this group. Michelle

Members (41)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service