Tactile Sensitivities

Information

Tactile Sensitivities

A group for all the families that have children with tactile sensitivities, to share experiences and tips on how to deal with the additional issues this raises

Members: 41
Latest Activity: May 4, 2015

checklist (Extensive checklist of all symptoms associated with SID/SPD, in a printable format. Great to sit down and go through then take to your next neuro appointment if you have any concerns)

Presentation on Behavioural Issues with boys with DMD:
PPMD2007Poysky.pdf?docID=2227

Discussions

Our life with SID/SPD

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Denise Gionet Sep 20, 2010. 7 Replies

Yikes - A Sleep Study?!?!

Started by Karen Barnett. Last reply by Susan Nantais May 1, 2009. 2 Replies

Explaining the condition

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Cathie Bullis Apr 3, 2009. 1 Reply

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Tactile Sensitivities to add comments!

Comment by Rebecca B on April 7, 2009 at 8:11pm
shouldn't laugh but... one day George was complaining about his shirt itching at the neck. Tried to ignore it etc etc. that night getting changed for bed I saw that I had left the shop label in! No wonder he was complaining.
Comment by Rebecca B on April 7, 2009 at 8:10pm
wow, I can't believe what i've been reading. I had some idea that our boys may be over-sensitive to some things but SOCKS!
Socks socks socks. send us mad - alwyas something (nothing) stuck in them! Also shoes, loud noises, certain soft toys in bed, chewing everything....

George changes into his PJs at every opportunity. If he splashes his clothes with even a tiny bit of water (or food) they have to be changed.

So glad I've found this. it will help us (my husband) deal with the issue!
Rebecca
x
Comment by Julie Gilmore on April 1, 2009 at 11:45pm
Hi Ana,

A LOT of people find this hard to understand, there is some excellent literature out there, but of course it really is a case of "you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

Even if you can get the family to understand it (and I have been blessed in that it only took a couple of sit down and lecture 'em sessions for the message to get through!) you then have to educate the school, the therapists and anyone else that deals with your child - some days it seems like a never ending task.

The upside is that actions speak louder than words. For my husband who thought I was molly coddling Mitch, I challenged him to try things "mitch's way" for a week, and if he didn't see an improvement then I would concede that I was the problem, not SID.

It took 7 days of pure bliss for my husband to realise that little changes in OUR expectations and routines, made a mountain of difference in Mitchell. He still has his moments, but if a new "issue" arises, we work out a plan to accommodate or overcome it.

Keep your chin up, and know there is always a group of parents here that completely understand where you are coming from. (and sometimes just getting it all off your chest is the best medicine of all)

Hugs and smiles,

Jules
Comment by Ana on April 1, 2009 at 9:30pm
I have a HUGE problem with the rest of my family understanding!! My fiance, my daughter and my step-children. I have tried over and over and over again to no avail.... I have no idea why they cant seem to understand.... but it is extremely frustrating!!!!
Comment by Karen Barnett on April 1, 2009 at 5:30pm
Why don't people get this? Is it just me or are you all experiencing this to some degree as well? What do you say to people that don't? How do you explain it?
Comment by Ana on February 26, 2009 at 7:10pm
WOW!! Alot of these sound like Austin! He used to drive me crazy with socks and shoes. Dont ask me how but lately he has been putting them on himself and I've had no complaints. I'm not asking either.... lol. He does have an aversion to noise! The vacuum, loud music, the dogs barking, cat meowing, any of that. Even though he is a loud child.... It makes it hard and more confusing, when you tell him, well, if you were quiet everyone one else would be too. He seems to think it doesnt work that way. I used to think alot of this came from his ADHD, but I now realize maybe not....

Ana Smith
Comment by Cathie Bullis on February 25, 2009 at 11:40pm
These stories sound so similar with our grandson Michael. I have to put my hands over his ears at the basketball game when the crowd roars or the band plays. He is sensitive to fire engines (cannot stand the siren). When I took him to the three fire stations in our city he begged the staff NOT to turn on the siren or to open or close their bigs steel doors. Sounds clearly bother Michael and we need to be cognizant of his sensitivities. I hope these stories all help families realize this seems to be part of the process for DMD.

Cathie Bullis
Comment by Jennifer Shumsky on February 24, 2009 at 8:48am
Xavier also hates the toe nail cutting, for him we discovered by accident one day that he likes to soak his feet in cold water (1 ice cube, no more, no less) till he feels they are nice and chilly (not blue or painful) and then we cut his nails, it seems to reduce the feeling that way.
Comment by Julie Gilmore on February 24, 2009 at 1:55am
Hi Char, your question isn't so silly - a lot of the boys have issues with their nails and hair. Mitch would scream like he was being skinned...... no-one could figure it out, and then one day I had a jag nail, and without even thinking, I grabbed the nail clippers and cut the edge of my toe nail so I could put my shoes on - and Mitch screamed! It was then we realised that it was the SOUND of nails being cut that he hated. After that we discovered that putting earphones on (or earplugs in) fixed all his screaming issues with toe nails.

Your son may be different as you say he is ok with his finger nails being cut (Mitch bites his finger nails so it was never an issue) but if you have tried everything else give it a go.

The best news is that it only took about 6 months of cutting Mitch's toe nails without him being able to hear the sound before he "learnt" that the task was not painful and stopped screaming. Now as long as I use decent nail clippers we get through the whole process stress (and scream free).
Comment by Char Burke on February 24, 2009 at 1:12am
So this sounds really silly - but my son hates to have his toe nails cut. I cut his finger nails but he just has a fit when I try and cut his toe nails. Any ideas? Char Burke

Members (41)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service