My sister asked me to get busy researching hopsital beds for her 13 year old son with DMD. She is interested in something that will meet his needs now and in the years ahead. Positioning, rotating and pressure points are a major factor that we would like to address. What bed have you found that works for you the pros and cons of it. Did insurance cover it?

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if you can get them in the states, but we have a thing called a cardinal turning bed - it's a godsend. It rotates Mitch all night in 15 degree increments every 5 minutes. No pressure sores, and no waking up 8 times a night to turn him. It also had trendelenburg tilt, which is vital for secretion clearance if the boys ever get a chest infection, plus it has the mandatory hi-lo, knee break etc.
Battery backup lasts 2 days in the event of a power outage its just got it all.
Website for australian manufacturer:
www.smartech.com.au
(which will also give you a laugh with the funny accents on the demonstration video!)
Not cheap, but considering we had already bought another bed 2 years prior, and it just didn't cut the cheese, I can honestly say they are worth every cent if you can afford one.
We JUST got at v-cue mattress for my son. I am so in love with this bed! Its your basic hospital bed, with the luxery stuff just PACKED into it. It rotates him throughout the night from side to side, (you set how often and how far and etc). It has pressure point control and anti-shearing properties. It has a built in percussion and vibration feature that will be EXTREMELY useful further down the road. It goes up and down very easily-although it still requires cranking. It actually takes up less space then his other hospital bed did. The biggest con is the sound of the air mattress. You get used to it, but I just think its a bit noisy.
As far as insurance. I fought for this bed for the last 3 years. It was HORRIBLE!!! My son had tendon release and had a hard time recovering. He could not bring the gunk in his chest up, and almost developed pneumonia. Once I seen how easily he could have went bad, I began my fight for something better for him. The insurance company we had (Tricare South)never did get us one. We moved to a new district, (tri-West) and I was able to speak with Dorothy from Hill-Rom. She put in a referral, talked to the insurance company, and explained to them how necessary it was, and we got the bed within a very very short period of time. Here is a link to get ya started! Please let me know if she needs help with insurance companies. Although I am no expert, I have been blessed with some fine folks here in El Paso TX that REALLY REALLY want to help. http://www.hillrom.com/usa/Vcue.htm

Hope this helps. My son is also 13.
Thank you both for your input we will check into both..
Debby:

I am in the same boat with my son. He is 13 and we need a hospital bed. He wakes several times a night to be repositioned. I am okay with getting up, but I worry that he is not getting the necessary rest he needs. If a bed would help, I want to try. Let me know what you find out. I hear that if there is no sign of skin breakdown, it is hard to get insurance to pay for a special mattress - like I would ever let my son get a pressure sore!
Thanks for this information. My son is 13 and in need of a hospital bed, but I have know idea what direction I should go. Alex currently sleeps on his side and needs to be repositioned several times a night. His legs are contracted 90 degrees which makes sleeping on his back nearly impossible. We have tired using pillows to prop him up, but he doesn't like it. He prefers to sleep on his side. I thought if we could get a hospital bed, it might allow him to sleep on his back as his legs would be supported. HELP!\

MommaToo said:
We JUST got at v-cue mattress for my son. I am so in love with this bed! Its your basic hospital bed, with the luxery stuff just PACKED into it. It rotates him throughout the night from side to side, (you set how often and how far and etc). It has pressure point control and anti-shearing properties. It has a built in percussion and vibration feature that will be EXTREMELY useful further down the road. It goes up and down very easily-although it still requires cranking. It actually takes up less space then his other hospital bed did. The biggest con is the sound of the air mattress. You get used to it, but I just think its a bit noisy.
As far as insurance. I fought for this bed for the last 3 years. It was HORRIBLE!!! My son had tendon release and had a hard time recovering. He could not bring the gunk in his chest up, and almost developed pneumonia. Once I seen how easily he could have went bad, I began my fight for something better for him. The insurance company we had (Tricare South)never did get us one. We moved to a new district, (tri-West) and I was able to speak with Dorothy from Hill-Rom. She put in a referral, talked to the insurance company, and explained to them how necessary it was, and we got the bed within a very very short period of time. Here is a link to get ya started! Please let me know if she needs help with insurance companies. Although I am no expert, I have been blessed with some fine folks here in El Paso TX that REALLY REALLY want to help. http://www.hillrom.com/usa/Vcue.htm

Hope this helps. My son is also 13.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service