We are headed to Gettysburg and Washington DC next week.  Curious if anyone has any suggestions for traveling/parking around the city with your wheelchairs?  Has anyone tried to park an accessible van in and around the mall area?

We have been there before and used the Metro.  It is pretty accessible.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Ed

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Ed,
Several years ago I drove to DC with my sons in our van and I run through the Mall area whenever in Washington. The challenge was parking at the hotel. Most inner city hotels have underground garages with a 6' 6" height restriction. Our van is over 8' tall. Also many hotels charge a daily fee for parking typically around $20-$30.

As you mentioned the Metro is accessible with limited problems such as elevators not working. There are Metro stops near the mall (Smithsonian is close). Parking on the Mall is also fairly straight forward. There are lots near the Lincoln Memorial and along the West Potomac Parkway which is a short distance from the Lincoln Memorial. There is parking near the other monuments, yet don't recall exactly where. When we visited the city we left the van and took the Metro wherever we needed to go just making sure my sons' power chairs were always fully charged as there is a lot of walking no matter where you go.

Brian Denger
We just returned from Gettysburg and Washington DC.
both are very accessible and I highly recommend Gettysburg if your family are history buffs. What a great experience. The boys even drove across the field of Picket's charge. It was a little bumpy, but they made it.

Parking in DC was easy. There is a great parking lot about 100 yds East of the Washington Monument on the Potomac. Regular parking spots are for 3 hours only, but there were 6 handicap spots with no time limit and were free. There were spots open both days we toured the Mall.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service