Tivorsan Pharmaceuticals Biglycan: DMD research nears clinical trials

Views: 507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can upregulating utrophin help older boys who are already in wheelchairs?

Terry - as I understand it, utrophin is hoped to slow progression, but it wouldn't restore any already fibrotic muscle tissue.   

Utrophin upregulation will benefit all DMD boys no matter what age.  Some research say Utrophin upregulated to 5 or 6X normal can substitute for dystrophin.   In the human fetus utrophin is found in the muscle cell membrain. It disappears when the fetus begins to express dystrophin. 

Tivorsan Pharmaceuticals Biglycan has be shown to bring Utrophin back to the muscle cell membrain.

It would be nice to see a study using Utrophin upregulation drug and Biglycan together to see if there is a added benefit.  

Hi Jason,

Do you mean to say tthat he biglycan is slightly diffrent from the utrophin upregulation? it thought Biglycan is upregulating the utrophin?

Good thing about this it would put pressure on other comapnies trying utrophin upregulation to speed up.

Thanks,

amrit

Jason Darienzo said:

Utrophin upregulation will benefit all DMD boys no matter what age.  Some research say Utrophin upregulated to 5 or 6X normal can substitute for dystrophin.   In the human fetus utrophin is found in the muscle cell membrain. It disappears when the fetus begins to express dystrophin. 

Tivorsan Pharmaceuticals Biglycan has be shown to bring Utrophin back to the muscle cell membrain.

It would be nice to see a study using Utrophin upregulation drug and Biglycan together to see if there is a added benefit.  

Hi amrit

Biglycan is upregulating utrophin but if I am reading the research right is also is providing cellular signling tell Utrophin it's needed in the muscle cell membrane.

Thanks Jason for clarification.

Jason Darienzo said:

Hi amrit

Biglycan is upregulating utrophin but if I am reading the research right is also is providing cellular signling tell Utrophin it's needed in the muscle cell membrane.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service