My son is 16 and for the past year and a half has been having stomach aches every week sometimes two to three times.  We took him to a GI, but he said the only way to find out what was wrong was to knock him out and put a scope down his throat.  He also said he would rather not do that because of the Duchenne.  We have him on a half cap full of Miralax daily, which keeps him regular.  We do have a very hard time getting him to drink water.  He loves soda, but I cannot give it to him for fear it will rot his teeth out and cause him to gain a lot of weight.  Neither are good for him.  I am not sure what to do.  Does anybody else have this problem?  He is on Deflazacort, and all of the side affects say stomach upset.  I was hoping somebody will have a suggestion on what I should do for my son.  I can not stand to see him suffer with this stomach problem.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has the GI ever recommended a med like Prevacid or Zantac? Acid can be a big issue with steroid usage. They're are so many that are over the counter now, that it's not too hard to try. Might want to ask him about it and see if it will help.
Joshua is only 7, but we too have this happen too. We too were told to give him Zantac, but we opted for Gravol. It works instantly. If it is acid though, lemon juice mixed with water works great! Fighting acid with acid works better than only reducing it. I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. My doctor did say something about putting him on Nexium. I did know that steriod use was bad for his stomach. He has been on them for 9 years.
The stomach aches started about a year ago. I will be calling the doctor on Monday. Again thank you very much. I feel a little better.
Laurie Paschal said:
Has the GI ever recommended a med like Prevacid or Zantac? Acid can be a big issue with steroid usage. They're are so many that are over the counter now, that it's not too hard to try. Might want to ask him about it and see if it will help.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will be calling my doctor on Monday to get him on Nexium and ask about the erythromycin. Thanks again.

Rhiannon Hubbard said:
My 6 year old Carter has frequent stomach aches as well, usually during/after meals. Our GI put him on prevacid for acid as well as an antibiotic called erythromycin that helps speed up gut motility. They think that his GI tract isn't moving quickly enough and that's what's causing his pain. We saw a decrease in pain when we started on the meds but it's still almost daily. We see GI again on the 24th of this month and they might be setting up an endoscopy to see if anything else is going on since he's still having pain.
Thank you for getting back to me. I had no idea so many kids have the same problem. I am a little relieved to know I can put him on something to hopefully make him feel better. It is not always convenient to take to the bathroom when a stomach ache hits him. Thank again.

Joshua's mom said:
Joshua is only 7, but we too have this happen too. We too were told to give him Zantac, but we opted for Gravol. It works instantly. If it is acid though, lemon juice mixed with water works great! Fighting acid with acid works better than only reducing it. I hope this helps.
I have been told that the steroids also mess with the natural flora and fauna in the GI. I started giving my son probiotics.
Thank you. That is what I keep hearing. I knrew this was all steroid related.

christine good said:
I have been told that the steroids also mess with the natural flora and fauna in the GI. I started giving my son probiotics.
We did the scope when my son was 8 and he was found to have an ulcer and I was told the only way to cure it is by antibiotic and then nexium..I think the antibiotic is the key to getting rid of it as he hasn't had an ulcer since.
hi Lisa,
I have a 24yr. old son with DMD, he went through a period (at least a couple of years) with stomach upset as well (late jr high into high school). We tried the Nexium/Prevacid route during that time and while it helped it did not solve the problem. After talking with our local pharmacist I decided to have him try Culturelle, a probiotic. It seems to have done the trick... it took a long time for his stomach to settle down but it has. Culturelle is easy to give and in fact many physicians/pharmacists recommend it especially when one it taking antibiotics, which is actually how we started initially. It was so effective that we just kept giving it to him after he was done with the course of antibiotics. It comes in a capsule which can be opened and put in a small amount of applesauce or pudding. I know that water is usually not a big seller with these guys but I think that it makes a huge difference as well. The nutritionist in our area has recommended 7-10 cups of water a day. I know it sounds like alot, but it helps! (unless there are restritictions due to heart issues) I think stress also plays a role in stomach upset... Again difficult to manage while in school but definitely contributes to tummy trouble. Best of luck to you and your son :-)
Katherine
oh I forgot to add that he no longer takes anything but the probiotic, no antacids, proton pump inhibitors, (prevacid, nexium)etc.
Katherine
My son been having horrible stomach ach this last four days,matter fact,he's at the hospital right now,from where I'm taping now.Two nights ago was at ER, did a CT,Dr think it's a virus,next day took to his Dr not sure what was going on,sent home w/ heart burn medication.No amelioration at all,today I decide to take him to another hospital,he's admited,been seen by pediatrician,told me that he may be constipated,his BG was slight low,hooked w/IV fluids + dextrose,few hours later feel much better,he'll spend a night at the hospital.He didn't eat or really drink for four days.
If any body have an experience similar please replie,what happen.
Thanks,
Katherine, I have stated my son on the probiotic, but now I am wondering if I should take him off the Miralax. I am afraid becasuse he has been on it for so long. I suppose all I can do is try it. Any thoughts on this? Thank you, Lisa Vainosky

Katherine M. Reynoldson said:
oh I forgot to add that he no longer takes anything but the probiotic, no antacids, proton pump inhibitors, (prevacid, nexium)etc.
Katherine

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service