Hey, all. My son is six and has noticeable lordosis. Just tonight, an acquaintance who is an orthopedic surgeon and familiar with DMD, recommended that my son may need to have a pediatric orthopedic surgeon start following him. He mentioned possible spinal fusion for the lordosis. This has set me in a tale spin tonight. First of all, I appreciate this doctor's interest and his willingness to "talk shop" when we run into each other at our children's school functions. He has been very helpful. Back to the tale spin . . . I guess I've always thought spinal fusion was only for scoliosis and usually after the boys are non-ambulatory. So, I have lots of questions for all of you. Has anyone had spinal fusion for lordosis? Has anyone had spinal fusion while still ambulatory? What have you done to combat or counteract or deal with lordosis? As I mentioned, my son's lordosis is quite noticeable and I am concerned about it. One PT had recommended compression clothes to give him more support. We purchased them, and he wore them under his clothes for awhile. Now, he says he doesn't want to wear them because they feel too heavy. I'm not really sure how helpful they were in the first place. I appreciate any information you can give me.
Danelle

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I remember correctly lordosis is the body's way of adapting and keeping our boys walking. As their legs, especially their thigh muscles weaken they 'lean' back, throw their shoulders back to keep their balance in order to keep walking. As they get weaker the lordosis gets more pronounced. I don't think that there is anything you can do, or want to do since it is one of the mechanisms that keep them walking. It differs from Scoliosis, the side to side curve of the spine. My son is 18, and I have noticed that his lordosis has gotten more pronounced, but if that is what it takes to keep him walking, even if it just around the house, then so be it.
He may be familiar with dmd but he doesn't seem well informed on the subject of lordosis and dmd. As Susan said I always thought lordosis was a compensatory posture. I came across the following site and they say it is actually beneficial in delaying scoliosis. They talk about lordosis in the paragraph below the pictures of the boy getting up from the floor. I think we all learn along the way that just because someone is a doctor it doesn't mean they know about dmd specifically.

http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com/Topics/Muscle_Neuro/Diseases/M...
I appreciate your responses and am quite relieved. Sometimes I wish I had a DMD for Dummies book. It seems as if the most minor of things are so complicated. Thanks again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service