Is it hereditary? From what I can tell, a gonadal mosaic happens when a mutation occurs in an early stage of embryonic development, so that makes me think that no, it isn't hereditary. I mean, obviously it is passed on to the children if they get one of the flawed eggs, but I didn't get it from my mother, right?? So if I am a gonadal mosaic and not a DNA carrier, my mom and sisters don't need to worry about also being gonadal mosaics, right? It's just my own personal mutation, right?

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is correct, your mom and sister would not need to be tested for carrier status if you are not a DNA carrier.

Your sisters should be tested since your mother may have had more then one affected egg with the mutation.

Right, but if I got the mutation from my mother, that would make me a carrier (my egg had the mutation, so I have the deletion too), not a gonadal mosaic. If I don't have the mutation but my son does, it was either just his egg or some percentage of MY eggs that have it. I think I get it now.

Any daughters you have or will have will need to be tested for carrier status. Hally what I thought from her post is that she is not a dna carrier. If she is not then it did not come from any of her mother's eggs because in that case she would be a dna carrier. If she is not a dna carrier her sisters are no more likely to be carriers than anyone else in the general population.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service