Hi everyone. My son Steven is 24years old  traeched and on a vent. We are looking for competent, compassionate LPNs or RNs to care for him at home. They need to be with an agency that accepts Medicaid and/or Independent Medicaid providers. We live in Manhattan. I can be reached at 212-254-1219 or 917-209-9449 Thanks Billie

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is probably not the best venue to ask for caregivers, especially since you are working though an agency. But I understand you must turn over every stone to find a good nurse--and someone may see this and know someone...... I think we should all get together and write a book about our caregivers? We had one who wanted to shower my son in her underwear so her clothes wouldn't get wet. We had one who got creative with her timesheet, and one who said "see you tomorrow" and even her agency could never locate her to give her her last paycheck. Our present shower aide spends a lot of time in the bathroom and his family calls him constantly with the smallest questions. My son(who is the employer, not me) has let this go a bit because at least the aide does his work well for us. I hope you find a wonderful nurse for your wonderful son--I know the challenges.
Thanks for replying If you can recommend anyone I would appreciate it.

Ann Avery said:
This is probably not the best venue to ask for caregivers, especially since you are working though an agency. But I understand you must turn over every stone to find a good nurse--and someone may see this and know someone...... I think we should all get together and write a book about our caregivers? We had one who wanted to shower my son in her underwear so her clothes wouldn't get wet. We had one who got creative with her timesheet, and one who said "see you tomorrow" and even her agency could never locate her to give her her last paycheck. Our present shower aide spends a lot of time in the bathroom and his family calls him constantly with the smallest questions. My son(who is the employer, not me) has let this go a bit because at least the aide does his work well for us. I hope you find a wonderful nurse for your wonderful son--I know the challenges.
During my son's hospitalization last summer we were connected with a Community Healthcare Agency who contracts for our primary insurance carrier [we also have Medicaid]. They connected with a nursing agency who has provided night nursing 5 nights per week. So far, all of the nurses we have gotten through the agency have been wonderful. You could try calling your insurance carrier.
Claire Albertson said:
During my son's hospitalization last summer we were connected with a Community Healthcare Agency who contracts for our primary insurance carrier [we also have Medicaid]. They connected with a nursing agency who has provided night nursing 5 nights per week. So far, all of the nurses we have gotten through the agency have been wonderful. You could try calling your insurance carrier.
Claire I would love to talk with you. Could you give me a call tonight at 212-254-1219? Thanks

Billie Swarztrauber said:
Claire Albertson said:
Claire Albertson said:
Hoping to hear from you Claire. Thanks, Billie

Claire Albertson said:
Ann can you tell me where you live and what agencies you used? Thanks, Billie

Ann Avery said:
Billie--this won't help you a bit as I live across the country from you in Seattle! The local agencies are your best bet as they screen the aides/nurses carefully. You still get some real dillies. My son uses an aide 3 hours a day at Microsoft, then we have a different shower aide 3 evenings a week. All from the same agency. My son has used non-invasive venting for 8 years instead of being trached, so we have just aides and not nurses, so I have to handle the breathing/pills/tummy tube. Good luck, ANN

Ann Avery said:
Thanks anyway Ann. I hope some other parents who live colser to me respond to my search.

Ann Avery said:
Billie--this won;t helpyou a bit as I live across the country from you in Seattle! The local agencies are your best bet as they screen the aides/nurses carefully. You still get some real dillies. My son uses an aide 3 hours a day at Microsoft, then we have a different shower aide 3 evenings a week. All from the same agency.

Ann Avery said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service