Wondering what others thoughts & knowledge are on this.  Anyone have their boys on melatonin?

Melatonin treatment normalizes plasma pro-inflammatory cytokines and nitrosative/oxidative stress in patients suffering from Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

J Pineal Res. 2010 Mar 4;

Authors: Chahbouni M, Escames G, Venegas C, Sevilla B, García JA, López LC, Muñoz-Hoyos A, Molina-Carballo A, Acuña-Castroviejo D

Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), a lethal disorder characterized by dystrophin absence, courses with chronic inflammation, sarcolemmal damage, and skeletal muscle degeneration. Among the multiple pathogenic mechanisms proposed for DMD, oxidative stress and inflammation are directly involved in the dystrophic process. Unfortunately, there is no current treatment for DMD, and the inflammatory process is an important target for therapies. Based on the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of melatonin, we investigated whether melatonin treatment may reduce the dystrophic process. Ten DMD patients aged 12.8 +/- 0.98 yr, were treated with melatonin (60 mg at 21:00 hr plus 10 mg at 09:00 hr), and plasma levels of lipid peroxidation (LPO), nitrites (NO(x)), interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-2, IL-6, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interferon-gamma, and plasma markers of muscle injury, were determined at 3, 6 and 9 months of treatment. Healthy age- and sex-matched subjects were used as controls. The results show a significant increase in LPO, NO(x), and cytokine levels in plasma of DMD patients compared with controls. Melatonin administration reduced these values to control levels at 3 months of treatment, decreasing further 9 months later. In parallel, melatonin also reduced plasma levels of creatine kinase (CK; 50%), lactate dehydrogenase (28%), aspartate aminotransferase (28%), alanine aminotransferase (20%), and myoglobin (13%). These findings strongly support the conclusion that melatonin administration significantly reduced the hyperoxidative and inflammatory process in DMD patients, reducing the muscle degenerative process.

PMID: 20210854 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Views: 490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was just a post about supplements and she gives her son melatonin...
My son has been on melatonin since he was 3 (he is now 8). We put him on it for different reasons - he had such difficulty settling at night and it would take him to after midnight to get to sleep. We tried the melatonin because I felt that a tired child's muscles would break down faster than a well rested child. When we started reading the benefits it just made us more comfortable keeping him on. He is only on a couple of mg per day so I am sure that it is a very small amount and not therapeutic. We may up his dose.
Kelly
That's very interesting. I will ask my son's doctor about it. So far he's only been on deflazacort (for 12 years now).
Alex takes it nightly to help with sleeping. He started it about 8 months ago. I did not know about these findings....very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Kim
How much is he on? How old is he? Wyatt has not been sleeping well at night, waking up 2-4 times a night. We started deflaz Jan 2, 2010. Not sure if that has something to do with it.
Thanks, Jess

Kim Maddux said:
Alex takes it nightly to help with sleeping. He started it about 8 months ago. I did not know about these findings....very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Kim
I emailed the article to Dr. Wong. She said that she had not seen it and found it very interesting. She would like to see more than 10 patients in a study, and thought that 70mg was a lot to give. She said they recommend 5mg for sleeping, so 70mg seemed really high.

Just sharing her thoughts, although they are without anything but the orignal note given here......

Jessica Rownd said:
How much is he on? How old is he? Wyatt has not been sleeping well at night, waking up 2-4 times a night. We started deflaz Jan 2, 2010. Not sure if that has something to do with it.
Thanks, Jess

Kim Maddux said:

Thanks for sharing.

Kim
Joshua takes 5mg each night. He was having night terrors and never a full sleep. Once he started taking them though, he rarely ever wakes in the middle of the night and in the morning he's much happier!

Naomi
70 mg is definitely a lot, that's 23 of the typically available pills.
Given that the recommended dosing is, if I'm not mistaken, between 3 - 5 mg/night, it does seem like a huge amount.

Would they really put these boys on such a high amount though if they thought it was dangerous?
I agree that is a HUGE dose! Trey is 5 1/2 and weighs 40.8 lbs and doctor said only 1 mg a night was safe for him...and I give him 1 mg a night and within 1/2 an hour he is READY for bed or falling asleep on the couch, and for a five year old to say 'mommy I need to go night-night' I think is really rare.

We get ours in liquid suspension form through Walgreens, if you go to the pharmacy and ask them to order the liquid melatonin they will do it for you at no extra cost. They ordered us Natrol Melatonin 1mg Liquid and he takes it like a champ, and I have taste tested it and it tastes actually really good, like fresh grapes...and it's only $6 a bottle...

Love the stuff, before we were having MAJOR problems getting Trey to sleep at night and now we have none and he seems way more energized in the mornings. Maybe the thought process on this is that your body heals when it is in it's REM sleep stage and this encourages our boys into that state more easily hence their body is more rejuvinated'...
This is the full paper. The results look good on that high dose. Obviously the fact that it's tested in DMD patients is huge. It would be great if they could do a larger trial very soon.
Attachments:
Thanks Ofelia for the whole article... I still think that sounds like alot...1 whole bottle of melatonin a day? Or for us 4.5 bottles of liquid melatonin a day, almost 8oz of the stuff...has anyone every given their son's this high of a dose? And if so what was their affect to it...I'm just wondering if they were in a drug/sleepy state all day, whether it caused stomach problems, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service