Has anyone used the Maclaren Major Elite Stroller Designed for children with special needs? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I have seen it here in one of the baby shops and it has been tested for kids up to 50kg. I would like to buy this for my son as we are going to be doing a lot of sightseeing here in England and I don't want him to miss out, or have to restrict which tours and sights we see due to him having to do too mcuh walking. He really complains about his legs getting tired these days.

Also, for those of you with kids at school, do you accompany them on field trips with the stroller/wheelchair? James is just about to start school here and apparently he does many field trips. We have brought our helper from Singapore and I thought, since I still have the two younger ones plus another baby on the way (only just found out I'm pregnant again) that she could accompany him on the field trips to help him with any mobility issues. Would appreciate the thoughts of other been-there-done-that parents.

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sharyn,
We just got our Maclaren and haven't used it yet. It seems as if it will be perfect for our little guy (just turned 6). We also have a GoGo Elite scooter Between the two we should be set for just about every kind of outing. The Maclaren is easy to maneuver. The seat is higher off the ground than I imagined, and my son cannot get in and out of it without my assistance. Also, while it does fold down almost as narrow as a regular umbrella stroller, it is longer than an umbrella stroller. I have a hard time believing the maker's claims that it will fit in an overhead compartment on a plane. Other than that, we're pleased with it. As to field trips, I try to go on all of them for my own peace of mind. Very few people understand how his DMD affects his activities. They don't get how difficult simple tasks are for him. If I go, I can make sure that he can participate safely and as fully as possible. I understand how difficult field trips are with two younger ones, as I have 2 younger ones as well. At first, I used it to my advantage. It allowed me to discretely have a reason for having my double stroller on field trips. If my son got tired, he could just sit in the front without making a big deal to him or to his classmates (I would leave one of the kids with my mother-in-law.) We're past that now, but I do try to get someone else to watch the younger ones so I have hands free to concentrate on my son.
Hope this helps!
hi sharyn
i'm in the uk too
my son had a maclaren stroller from age 5 to 7 approx... then went on to a manual wheel chair... and at age 9 a power chair.

we found the stroller brilliant; although you might get some funny looks from people 'he looks too old for a buggy' type thing .. but that becomes like water off a ducks back, and it was more me that noticed rather than my son
wheel chair services in the uk should provide you with a maclaren if you like...

school trips... i have always accompanied my son for the same reasons as danielle. but in some ways think i shouldn't have because although he has a full time assistant (now) they seem unable to cope without me! ... particularily with transport. (coach steps were too much, and now he needs an adapted vehicle)
when i went to view my son's senior school and i told them the role i have with his school currently... school trips, parent helper, taking him into school and hanging his bag up etc... they asked me if i'd be able to to cope with being more in the back ground when he transfers to them.... i was shocked, i thought i was being careing and helpful... they thought i was being 'slightly' overbearing!! ...and they like to promote independance in all their students, including the disabled ones. it's a great school, he will start in september.

on the up side, because there always is one... you get to know your child's peers, his teacher and assistant... and have a good understanding of what is being taught in school.
with hindsight, i think i should have gone on 'some' school trips, educated the staff as to dmd and my child's needs (in the uk he should have a special needs statement and therefore the appropriate assistance for help with physical and educational needs) and then backed off when i was confident.... and stayed at home worring about him...
not easy is it?

my son and his peers have always been very accepting of his wheels... (i'm the worrier!) ... they tend to get slightly envious on trips when they are walking what must seem like miles to them and he is wheeling!

my best wishes, anne

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service