Has anyone noticed and increase in aggression after several months on deflazacorte?

My son has been on deflazacorte for 6 mths, and only recently has started showing an extremely short temper. He never hit anyone in his life until the last month or so. I don't want to excuse his behavior by saying it's the drug, but I was curious as to whether anyone else noticed a late onset of steroid side effects?

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, both of my boys are much more emotional and have a much shorter temper.
I think many parents will agree, yet the doctors may not, say it is the medication. You will develop a very great set of patients. We give Joshua chocolate covered espresso beans since everything before ritalin was based on caffeine. It works well and really quick!

Naomi
I just posted a month or so ago. After two years on meds, my son all of a suddent seemed to get that way..Don't get me wrong..he has his days...but it was constant. I purchased the pure cod liver oil and It has helped! I noticed a difference in a week.

Darcy
Hey Regina,
We noticed after 6-7 months an increase in hyper energy, incread emotional reactions when something frustrated him (like coloring out of the lines)and not quite aggression - but more of a resistence - that if you said he couldn't do something he'd give you a look and stomp his feet. No behaviors that weren't there before - but I definitley would agree they are heightened and surface faster. But I wouldn't say anything that is unmanageable or is affecting our lifes in general so that it would have us consider stopping the Deflaz. But yeah - were happy when after 3 months or so we hadn't really noticed any behvior changes... maybe that is one of the things with Deflz - not only are these side effects supposedly milder than with Pred - but also take a bit longer to work their way through...
~P
This has been the case with my son as well - without a doubt the steroids. It is a known side effect of them. I don't understand why some doctors down play this side effect as well. I guess because those that advocate it's use for our son's (because it is the only thing that helps) don't want to discourage the use. I have also heard some doctors feel just the opposite though and discourage it's use (for quality of life) if the side effects are too much. It's such a balancing act.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We are just going to keep giving him positive encouragement and remind him to take deep breaths. We did tell him tha this medicine might be making it easier for him to get angry, which I hope was the right thing to do. I felt I had to b/c even he was commenting that he gets angrier than he used to. I didn't want him to think he was flawed in some way. I also think that giving him the breathing tools and telling him about the medicine has made him feel a little more in control about what's going on. Hopefully, we'll all learn to cope quickly!
Hi Darcy: How did you know to purchase cod liver oil to help your son with his emotional behavior from the steroids. Did you read it somewhere. I'm curious as to how it helps. Terry

Darcy Tumminello said:
I just posted a month or so ago. After two years on meds, my son all of a suddent seemed to get that way..Don't get me wrong..he has his days...but it was constant. I purchased the pure cod liver oil and It has helped! I noticed a difference in a week.

Darcy
Terry,

Drill down on my beautiful profile...heeee and look at the discussion I started about behavior changes. Kelvinsmom
suggested the pure cod liver oil. It is nasty smelling and tasting. My son loves seafood and doesn't mind the cod liver oil. I know I wouldn't be able to stomach it...I purchased from a local store...noticed a difference within one week Let me know if you have trouble finding.

Good Luck..
Darcy



cite>Terry Porcaro said:
Hi Darcy: How did you know to purchase cod liver oil to help your son with his emotional behavior from the steroids. Did you read it somewhere. I'm curious as to how it helps. Terry

Darcy Tumminello said:
I just posted a month or so ago. After two years on meds, my son all of a suddent seemed to get that way..Don't get me wrong..he has his days...but it was constant. I purchased the pure cod liver oil and It has helped! I noticed a difference in a week.

Darcy
Yes, I am the one who suggested the Cod Liver Oil, after finding results of some studies where it was proven to dramitically help kids with anger, ADD, etc. Funny thing is, I had given the article to a friend, not really thinking of Kelvin. I was actually giving a small dose, prior to Kelvin having outbursts and increased to 1 teaspoon (actually accidentally) and he changed a lot within a week. I think it suggests 1/2 teaspoon on the bottle (the supplement is actually has DHA/EPA Omega 3, 6, 9). I give the Kids DHA fruit flavor Pure Icelandic Cod Liver Oil by Barleans. It is expensive ( I find it in the fridge at my local vitamin store), but, I wouldn't have Kelvin without it. He is a much different kid on it. Michelle

http://www.barleans.com/omega_kids.asp
Ok-- you guys have my curiosity peaked. If I don't see a dramatic calm down when school gets out, my son has some fruit flavored cod oil coming his way! Michelle, thanks for the info on the brand!
You are welcome. Believe me, it was like a switch for Kelvin, outbursts have been about 98% gone. It may not be the supplement, could be his age, but, that is the only change I made and it certainly seemed to be it. I hope it is, but I can tell you, I won't stop it, I don't want those outbursts back. Michelle

Regina said:
Ok-- you guys have my curiosity peaked. If I don't see a dramatic calm down when school gets out, my son has some fruit flavored cod oil coming his way! Michelle, thanks for the info on the brand!
Nothing like the oil of a fish liver to calm a kid down ;-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service