I've got to give Laurie credit for this, since I saw this in one of her status updates.

Intel is running a contest to give away $50,000 in co-branded advertising to a non-profit. The top 32 vote-getters will compete for the prize. If you have a Facebook account, go to this app http://apps.facebook.com/voteforacause/

You can vote once a day. PPMD is currently #30 and could rise pretty quickly if everyone gets on board and votes. Also, please send the link to all of your Facebook friends and encourage them to vote daily as well. It costs them nothing other than ten seconds of their time.

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're in 3rd now...
There is a glitch with the system - unlimited voting ! Laurie and I have been voting for the last hour and have managed to clock up over 300 votes! Trouble is 2 of the charities behind us have now figured it out too :(

It takes a bit of patience, as you have to "retry" a lot of times but heck lets see what a dedicated band of mums and dads can do when the computer errs in our favour!

Keith Van Houten said:
We're in 3rd now...
And for anyone thinking that we should feel bad for "cheating the system" here is the post from a charity ahead of us that was sent to all their fans on facebook:

"Yesterday at 03:23MSRuntheUS Inc. I think the VOTING must be a 24 hr thing now... BUT PLEASE REMEMBER TO STILL GET YOUR ONE VOTE IN EVERY DAY TOWARDS MSRuntheUS Inc. Good News: We're in the top 32 so into the next round. Bad News: We should have crushed the competition IF EVERYONE A PART OF THIS FAN PAGE WOULD VOTE EVERY DAY ONCE A DAY!!! moreYesterday at 03:21"

So taking advantage of the glitch was not cheating on our part, merely a form of self preservation to ensure we stayed on the front page. 4 other charities figured it out and like us, managed to accumulate over 500 votes each during the 3 hour "window of opportunity".

So to everyone that logged on and help further the cause thank-you, and for those of you who missed it, the post above would indicate this is not going to be a one off glitch so keep your eyes peeled :)

Julie Gilmore said:
There is a glitch with the system - unlimited voting ! Laurie and I have been voting for the last hour and have managed to clock up over 300 votes! Trouble is 2 of the charities behind us have now figured it out too :(

It takes a bit of patience, as you have to "retry" a lot of times but heck lets see what a dedicated band of mums and dads can do when the computer errs in our favour!

Keith Van Houten said:
We're in 3rd now...
It appears like we have fewer votes today than we did last night when I was "power voting" during the hour of opportunity. So did they not count all of our votes? I swear we were well over 1000 when I was voting last night and when I just tried to vote now, they told me to come back tomorrow as I am too early in my voting and we are in 5th place with only 960 votes, anyone know if I am way off here?
I called it quits last night when the count went over 1600, so, Facebook apparently figured out what was going on and how to fix it. Darn computer geniuses....

The good news is that it looks like they took everybody's power votes away, because the MSRun was over 3400 votes when I stopped and they're back at 1900 now.

We're in 5th place, but only 36 out of 3rd place.

Julie - I didn't feel bad for one second !!! :-)
Glad to know I'm not completely losing my mind today! It's been one of those days. Thanks Keith

Keith Van Houten said:
I called it quits last night when the count went over 1600, so, Facebook apparently figured out what was going on and how to fix it. Darn computer geniuses....

The good news is that it looks like they took everybody's power votes away, because the MSRun was over 3400 votes when I stopped and they're back at 1900 now.

We're in 5th place, but only 36 out of 3rd place.

Julie - I didn't feel bad for one second !!! :-)
The next round started, and we're in it. There's 32 non-profits in this round, and it ends Tuesday at midnight.

The webpage to vote has changed, and not for the better. I wrote to the contest administrator about it, and encourage anyone else that feels the same way to do the same... The email address was in the contest rules.

To: dhinson@sumnersystems.com

Question about the Vote for a Cause contest.

I see the format of the page has changed in Facebook for the next round. What is the rationale on which non-profits are placed at the top of the list? It's not alphabetical, and it's not the vote count from the last round. I see it as a huge advantage to be at the top of the page, since you have to hover over each one individually and wait for the text to pop up to even tell what charity it is. Many people will tire of this before reaching the bottom of the list. The top vote getters for the previous round should be at the top of the list.

What's the text in the box next to the icon? It's too small to read. Can you see the vote counts at all?

Also, it was very unclear to me how you selected which non-profit to vote for. I tried several times before the box for the one I wanted appeared to be highlighted, and then clicked vote. When you vote, it asks if you're sure, but it ought to tell you which one you're voting for.

Is it too late for the non-profit to change their icon or the text that comes up in the pop-up? The one I'm interested in doesn't have their logo, it's the Intel logo, and the text is very minimal.

Thanks,

Keith Van Houten
Keith, I just voted on my account, on Ewan's and on his brother's. We were placed differently each time. I think the order is random. I agree with you, though, about the way it is set up. Not a very good format. I also don't like that we can't see the current vote totals.

Keith Van Houten said:
The next round started, and we're in it. There's 32 non-profits in this round, and it ends Tuesday at midnight.

The webpage to vote has changed, and not for the better. I wrote to the contest administrator about it, and encourage anyone else that feels the same way to do the same... The email address was in the contest rules.

To: dhinson@sumnersystems.com

Question about the Vote for a Cause contest.

I see the format of the page has changed in Facebook for the next round. What is the rationale on which non-profits are placed at the top of the list? It's not alphabetical, and it's not the vote count from the last round. I see it as a huge advantage to be at the top of the page, since you have to hover over each one individually and wait for the text to pop up to even tell what charity it is. Many people will tire of this before reaching the bottom of the list. The top vote getters for the previous round should be at the top of the list.

What's the text in the box next to the icon? It's too small to read. Can you see the vote counts at all?

Also, it was very unclear to me how you selected which non-profit to vote for. I tried several times before the box for the one I wanted appeared to be highlighted, and then clicked vote. When you vote, it asks if you're sure, but it ought to tell you which one you're voting for.

Is it too late for the non-profit to change their icon or the text that comes up in the pop-up? The one I'm interested in doesn't have their logo, it's the Intel logo, and the text is very minimal.

Thanks,

Keith Van Houten
I did get a reply back from the administrator. They aren't showing the vote totals, with the thought that voters aren't swayed by the results. Probably reasonable. The order they appear is random each time the page loads, which is also reasonable in my mind.

They changed the font size for the words next to the non-profit's icon, so you can find your charity without hovering over each icon individually. That's a good change. They're looking at changing the system so that when you vote and get your confirmation that your vote was accepted it would also tell you which non-profit you voted for.

This round ends tonite - Tuesday - and 16 of the 32 remaining non-profits will be eliminated.
Keep voting, Just keep voting:)

Keith Van Houten said:
I did get a reply back from the administrator. They aren't showing the vote totals, with the thought that voters aren't swayed by the results. Probably reasonable. The order they appear is random each time the page loads, which is also reasonable in my mind.

They changed the font size for the words next to the non-profit's icon, so you can find your charity without hovering over each icon individually. That's a good change. They're looking at changing the system so that when you vote and get your confirmation that your vote was accepted it would also tell you which non-profit you voted for.

This round ends tonite - Tuesday - and 16 of the 32 remaining non-profits will be eliminated.
We made it through this round. We're one of 16 non-profits left. Next round ends in 3 days.
I voted.

How do you know the vote totals?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service