Did anyone use this device for their loved one? If so can you tell me how they felt? I have a non verbal autistic child that started on one. I am wondering why he has such a smile on his face other then a stimulation that autistic people crave.

Thanks,

Views: 636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My 13yr old son has had a cough assist for about a year now. His lung function is decreased some and we use it daily. Justin doesnt have an effective cough so it helps him cough deeper. he says it feels weird, like its pulling his lungs up. All of us use it when we have coughs!

--Samantha
That is interesting about the use when you all have coughs,. I have come to the conclusion that my son really does like the feeling. Autsim has been his benefit at this point. I am not sure for how long that statement will stand to be true. I hope your son is doing well. Thanks, for responding.

Samantha Dearing said:
My 13yr old son has had a cough assist for about a year now. His lung function is decreased some and we use it daily. Justin doesnt have an effective cough so it helps him cough deeper. he says it feels weird, like its pulling his lungs up. All of us use it when we have coughs!

--Samantha
Hi my son is 20 and we use the cough assist daily. I agree it is so important to use this device. It does not hurt and you need to get the lung secretions up to avoid pneumonia,(which my son has never had and I credit this device and the use of chest PT) Kathy
Thank you Kathy. You should see my son's face when he sees the machine coming his way. He gets the biggest smile. I am not sure if it is becaue of the Autism and the pressure or if he actually feels good when the machine is running for him. I have not had a chance to review your profile to find out more about you at this moment. I am wondering though, does your son have a trach or is he on a ventelator? How old was he when he received this machine? What prompted you to get the machine? How did you know about it? We got this machine purely accidentally. I think familes should know more abot it and be offered it as a standard measure of care for our guys. No, situation or emergency should occur to be blessed with a device that makes such a difference in our children's lives. We fight for enough things over the years.

thanks,
marcie
My son is only 8yrs old and got a cough assist this last spring. He has allergies and has trouble bringing up secretions (the mucus gets stuck in his throat). He has always had a weak cough. Our insurance pays for 1/2 each month and our state program here in MI (Children's Special Health Care Services) pays the other half. It is rented for one year, at I believe $350 or $400 a month, and then becomes ours.
Boy, you are very lucky to have this machine so early in the game. (if you want to call it luck). I see the pic of your son. He is very sweet. I believe that is a pool in the background? My son really enjoyed his swimming over the years. He was able to swim all the way up until his 13 th year completely independent. (swimming for him is floating around the pool) . That was a wonderful thing since my son quit walking right after he turned 8. I wish you great strength. It is a tough road. I did it on my own for 10 years. I finally met my husband 4 years ago. I now have help and mental support but as you know . Nobody feels our pain. A man or a stepfather of two healthy children.. can only imagine how we feel. It is so vey sad. but we keep on trucking looking at each day one by one.. never looking to far.

Marcie
Hi Marcie. My son is not trached or on a ventilator. We have had the cough assist about 7 yrs and we learned about it from Parent Project about 8 yrs ago. Our ins. did pay for it. I'm glad your son seems to like it. My son says he feels better after using it.

marcie macek said:
Boy, you are very lucky to have this machine so early in the game. (if you want to call it luck). I see the pic of your son. He is very sweet. I believe that is a pool in the background? My son really enjoyed his swimming over the years. He was able to swim all the way up until his 13 th year completely independent. (swimming for him is floating around the pool) . That was a wonderful thing since my son quit walking right after he turned 8. I wish you great strength. It is a tough road. I did it on my own for 10 years. I finally met my husband 4 years ago. I now have help and mental support but as you know . Nobody feels our pain. A man or a stepfather of two healthy children.. can only imagine how we feel. It is so vey sad. but we keep on trucking looking at each day one by one.. never looking to far.

Marcie
Sorry , Kathy i made a mistake. I wrote you but in the meantime Karen wrote me. I thought i misunderstood the age of your child once she wrote me. Now i see i did not but then talked myself thinking i did. But now i see you were the person i wrote first, then Karen wrote then your response came in. thanks,
Sorry about the confusion. If i am wrong i am really confused at the point.. lol
Marcie

Kathy Guthy said:
Hi Marcie. My son is not trached or on a ventilator. We have had the cough assist about 7 yrs and we learned about it from Parent Project about 8 yrs ago. Our ins. did pay for it. I'm glad your son seems to like it. My son says he feels better after using it.

marcie macek said:

Marcie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service