Bookshare.org website / Resource with people with sight and physical disabilities

Hi -

I attended an Assisted Technology seminar with our School District the other night and we were shown this website:

Bookshare.org

This is what is it:

Bookshare™ is free for all U.S. students with qualifying disabilities. Student memberships are currently funded by an award from the U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).

• Bookshare dramatically increases the accessibility of books. Bookshare believes that people with disabilities deserve the same ease of access to books and periodicals that people without disabilities enjoy

If you can’t pick up a book, turn pages, maintain visual focus on a book or don’t have the physical stamina to work with printed material, you most likely qualify for Bookshare membership.

It refers to disabilities under the Chafee Amendment.  Our boys may not qualify but I thought it might be worth investigating.  Carrying books is an issue for Alex.  If we can't qualify for this, we will get an extra set of books for next year.

Just curious if anyone else has researched this.

Take care.

Kim Maddux

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. I will look into this. I know this will be an issue in college next year.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service