JUst wandering if anyone had a behavior intervention plan written in the IEP going to kindergarten? We will have our ARD meeting in 2 weeks. I was not sure if I should put this in his IEP. He is not an aggressive child but tends to cry over things when he is tired and something does not go his way. The long day will be quite an adjustment for him. Any other suggestions on what we should put in his IEP?

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Erin,
I dont' knwo taht you need a full blown Behavior intervention plan, but for Seph we did add to his IEP that there are sensory issues such as loud noises adn that his reaction is to yell back or sometimes hit them if they won't be quieter. We told the teacher that he should be punished as any other child, but it should not affect his conduct grade. Since that was included, we have had no problems.

Good luck!
lori
For Nicholas if there is alot of activity in the classroom he gets overwhelmed and becomes defensive. He tends to cry alot after coming in off the playground and getting ready for lunch. His teacher says his classmates are starting to shun him. This breaks my heart. Thanks for the advice. I have all of your suggestions written down.
Erin
Oh do you have the email address of the physical therapist in Cinci?
I should, but I don't! Email the care coordinator, Wendy Bommer. She can give it to you. wendy.bommer@cchmc.org Also, look at the post I did Tue or Wed about "how would you handle this situation". Karen Barnett put a great easy read link to an article from Columbia U that talks about cognitive difficulties as well as social immaturity. It would be a great article to give them.

Lori

Erin said:
For Nicholas if there is alot of activity in the classroom he gets overwhelmed and becomes defensive. He tends to cry alot after coming in off the playground and getting ready for lunch. His teacher says his classmates are starting to shun him. This breaks my heart. Thanks for the advice. I have all of your suggestions written down.
Erin
My son has a Behavioral Intervention Plan in place on his IEP. It was the schools suggestion to put it in there and they initiated it when he started first grade. After the year he had in kindergarten they really wanted it and I was OK with it. I had no idea there was even such a thing until they suggested it.

I would get as many on board as you can on the IEP and as much help as you can based on what YOU know your son needs.
Erin,
Are you referring to Michelle McGuire. If so, her email is michelle.mcquire@cchmc.org

Erin said:
Erin
Our son is in kindergarten too...since Sept. 08. He can become upset when other kids are in his space. We set objectives that he learn to tell his peers, in a friendly voice, please move, don't push me, etc. Our son also went through the whole day adjustment as well. I would see if the teacher could read the Education Matters book that PPMD wrote....and try a positive way for the goals to be met. For i.e., the teacher gives your son stars and 3 stars = prize. The behavior thing can also be what ever you think your child needs to achieve. Ditto on the academic side. Char Burke

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service