As Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy turns 15 this month, we reflect on what the world knew of Duchenne when we started, and what is being done to end Duchenne today. And although we are extremely proud of and thankful for the advances that have been made in the Duchenne community over the past 15 years, we also recognize there is much more work still to be done.
It is also a time for us to think about the blessings in our lives. I think I can assume for all of us, that our family is our number one priority and what we are the most thankful for. That’s why I would like to ask you (and anyone & everyone you know!) to share your list of the 15 things about your family that make you smile. I have included my list below. Please leave a comment to this discussion, sharing your 15 things! We all know how unique our families are, especially when Duchenne has invaded our home, but what I think will surprise you, is how similar we all are!
Thank you for sharing your list and opening your hearts and homes to our community!
15 things about my family that make me smile
• There are six (and soon seven) of us – Jen & Kris, Michelle, Chris, Patrick, and Tom
• We still get a lump in our throat when we talk about Chris and Patrick, wishing to hear their voices
• Jen and Michelle are wonderful, strong, kind, intelligent, and independent
• We believe in, and support, each other’s dreams.
• Jen is marrying Kris and he makes it obvious he loves her
• Michelle loves what she does and loves NYC
• Jen wants to go back to school and get another degree
• Tom thinks he is Fred Astaire
• I can still call Michelle – Mush
• Jen and Michelle still remember my favorite punishment
• We still laugh about Michelle’s imaginary friend, Sherry Comfort and her relatives
• We can smile about living in Middletown, Ohio
• Jen and Michelle love to shop
• Jen suggested I take pilates and organized it for me.
• We all know that our hearts beat together.