My son had a ankle fracture 1 week ago on tibia at the joint. It is a small fracture. He is 12 years old and he was walking before. The NJ Ortho doctor gave him a casting boot (removable) and asked him to walk if body lets him. However, the boot is heavy and he cannot even move it in a sitting position. In addition, his legs are uneven with the boot. They also told him to use walker or crutches which are not practical given his condition

Since the doctor is not thinking in terms of DMD patient's abilities, I contacted my orthotics person who made my his splints and he said he can custom make a light-weight splint that serves the function of the casting boot. I will be getting this on Tuesday. Until then, I am holding him and make 2 to 3 steps. I am also asking wiggle his toes. I am afraid this lack of mobility may lead to not able walk later.

I am looking for what type of PT/movement to do on this leg. I am also looking for a good ortho who is aware of DMD. I go to CHOP (in Philly) and the Neurologist doctor (not Finkle) has not spoken to us so far (1 week) except his nurse returned call to find out what happened. They did not provide any direction. I live in NJ. CHOP is taking its own time and the coordinator made me feel it is not a big deal saying that lot of DMD kids have fractures.

Views: 1416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we also live in NJ and we see Dr Stankovish out of east brunswick.. he is very up on DMD and his main goal is to keep them functioning. when our son broke his femur last year right before his 5 th b day he put rods in and had him in the pool daily for PT for therapy within 5 days. Maybe you can give him a call and get appt this week. he also sees pts in spring lake are.
Hi my son fractured his tibia in March although he is only 2 I had the same concern, It was suggested as your ortho did place him in a soft cast and let him walk as tolerated. My ortho didn't look at it from a DMD point. I have a suggestion when he gets his new splint be sure that your orthotist builds up the opposite shoe that way his gait is even and there is no problem with throwing off his pelvis and back.
My son boke his leg almost 4 years ago whe he was 13, it was actually a buckle fracture. He had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks in order for it to heal properly. That meant a wheelchair since he could not use a walker or crutches. He received PT when the ortho cleared him to weight bear and he worked really hard to get back to walking. He broke his leg in September (on my birthday) and was up and walking by Christmas. That was the point where we decided to start have him use a wheelchair for school. He had two falls in six months, broke his and and leg (both really just buckle fractures). None of us needed him to break something else. We felt very fortunate that no one else got hurt and that he didn't hit his head.

Since we are in California I can't really help with a doctor or facility.
Good Luck,
Susan
Hi Susan, my son James has just broken his ankle and has been told not to weight bear for 6 weeks. I was really worried it might mean he may not walk again - but your note has given me a little hope that he will be able to after intense PT.

Susan Rathfelder said:
My son boke his leg almost 4 years ago whe he was 13, it was actually a buckle fracture. He had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks in order for it to heal properly. That meant a wheelchair since he could not use a walker or crutches. He received PT when the ortho cleared him to weight bear and he worked really hard to get back to walking. He broke his leg in September (on my birthday) and was up and walking by Christmas. That was the point where we decided to start have him use a wheelchair for school. He had two falls in six months, broke his and and leg (both really just buckle fractures). None of us needed him to break something else. We felt very fortunate that no one else got hurt and that he didn't hit his head.

Good Luck,
Susan
Prasad,
Sorry to join this discussion so late. After reading the other replies it sounds like there was some good news and helpful hints. If you don't mind sharing, how have things turned out in you son's case? Is there anything that you would offer as do's or don't(s) based on your experience?
Jennifer

Hi Mary, I'm so glad to just find this thread. My 10 year old son Kevin fell in our bathroom and his feet just wend under him. He fell on Sept 12 around the same time as your son. He falls from time to time but outside playing with his friends on grass or the ground and with shoes on and nothing ever happened. He was dancing around a little before a shower, went back and down. Well I guess the way he fell really did it. Our ER room said it was a bad sprain -- it looked so bad -- swollen and black and blue. The next week we went to his neurologist and team at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC and lo and behold, the orthopaedic doc said it was a hairline fracture of the distal tibia, non-displaced. I almost fainted thinking -- oh no -- will he be up again. This doc gave him a "Air Walker" "boot" and was happy he wasn't casted at our local hospital. My son has been off his feet for a few weeks now and we go back next Tues. to se the ortho guy again to have another x-ray. I'm sure he'll be up and about soon as well as your son.
Kevin doesn't like the boot because when he tries to walk on it, it rocks back a little (as it should) but his heel cords and hamstrings are tight so of course it hurts. Just today though he said it felt better and he seems to be able to get up a little on the boot. He is also able to transfer from his scooter to his seat in our mbbility van. His PT at school had him up walking with the boot today with his aide and he did ok. So what I am trying to say is after almost a month of this I am finally starting to worry a bit less about him not getting on his feet again. It's just scary for us and our DMD boys. Other boys have the same thing but rebound much faster and it isn't as worrisome. My son was pretty active before this fall so I'm looking forward to him being up and about soon. I may have him use the scooter more at school too getting around for awhile.

I'd love to hear from Susan on what the "intense PT" consisted of.

Thanks,

Patti Frank

Mary Helen Smith said:
Hi Susan, my son James has just broken his ankle and has been told not to weight bear for 6 weeks. I was really worried it might mean he may not walk again - but your note has given me a little hope that he will be able to after intense PT.

Susan Rathfelder said:

Good Luck,
Susan
Patti Frank said:

Hi Mary, I'm so glad to just find this thread. My 10 year old son Kevin fell in our bathroom and his feet just wend under him. He fell on Sept 12 around the same time as your son. He falls from time to time but outside playing with his friends on grass or the ground and with shoes on and nothing ever happened. He was dancing around a little before a shower, went back and down. Well I guess the way he fell really did it. Our ER room said it was a bad sprain -- it looked so bad -- swollen and black and blue. The next week we went to his neurologist and team at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC and lo and behold, the orthopaedic doc said it was a hairline fracture of the distal tibia, non-displaced. I almost fainted thinking -- oh no -- will he be up again. This doc gave him a "Air Walker" "boot" and was happy he wasn't casted at our local hospital. My son has been off his feet for a few weeks now and we go back next Tues. to se the ortho guy again to have another x-ray. I'm sure he'll be up and about soon as well as your son.
Kevin doesn't like the boot because when he tries to walk on it, it rocks back a little (as it should) but his heel cords and hamstrings are tight so of course it hurts. Just today though he said it felt better and he seems to be able to get up a little on the boot. He is also able to transfer from his scooter to his seat in our mbbility van. His PT at school had him up walking with the boot today with his aide and he did ok. So what I am trying to say is after almost a month of this I am finally starting to worry a bit less about him not getting on his feet again. It's just scary for us and our DMD boys. Other boys have the same thing but rebound much faster and it isn't as worrisome. My son was pretty active before this fall so I'm looking forward to him being up and about soon. I may have him use the scooter more at school too getting around for awhile.

I'd love to hear from Susan on what the "intense PT" consisted of.

Thanks,

Patti Frank

Mary Helen Smith said:

Susan Rathfelder said:

Good Luck,
Susan
My son fractured his ankle it was a year ago this past August. He was in one of those heavy boots. We were able to take it off to bathe him. His ortho would not let him have any weight on it for about 4 weeks. He was 12 years old then and walking. Well, sorry to say now he is not walking. He had intense P/T after but it was to late.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service