Do you ever feel like no one knows about Duchenne? It doesn't get enough attention? It gets outshined by other causes with flashy spokespersons?

THINGS ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE!

On October 25th college football coaches (and their staff) from over 190 schools across the country are going to be on YOUR team, working together to increase awareness and raise money for research to combat Duchenne! By wearing "Coach to Cure MD" armband patches on this gameday, they will be promoting our boys to the rest of the country. Given that this includes participation by 24 of the 25 top-ranked teams, and will be seen on 20+ televised games, I think this gives us pretty good coverage.

In addition, coaches will mention Coach to Cure MD and Duchenne in pre- and post-game interviews, and we are going to be running television and radio "commercials" in selected markets. These include instructions on how people can donate, either online or via a new text-messaging donation program. Some schools are even going to run our commercials in-stadium on the "Jumbotron" or the overhead PA system during the game. Imagine...50,000 fans as a captive audience when you are trying to get the message across.

If you are not getting excited about this you are either uninformed or don't have a pulse!

You might be asking yourself, "But what can I do?" It's simple: SPREAD THE WORD! Check out the website (www.coachtocuremd.org), call your friends, send emails to everyone in your "contacts" list, accost random strangers on the street, etc. If you are feeling even more ambitious and want to possibly plug into other ways to help or volunteer, contact Rachel Poysky at rachelpoysky@yahoo.com

Keep in mind that this is only the start. The American Football Coaches Association has adopted PPMD as one of their charities for three years, so Coach to Cure MD will grow even bigger over the course of the next several years!

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a wonderful opportunity and we just need to spread the word fast and furious. Thanks for the opportunity!

Julie
This is a great way to get the awareness that we need. We need to get people talking and asking questions about DMD and asking what they can do to help (please make a donation to support resaerch!!!!).

I am personally sending my friends emails telling them that their college team is losing the fundraising competetion online at www.coachtocuremd.org and that they need to help their team win by letting their college buddies know too. Nothing like a little college football rivalry to spur them on!

Please take the time to promote this event so it will continue to grow and help our boys with much needed research funds!

Stefanie
Check out a copy of the commercial that will be aired on some television stations and in some stadiums. It stars the boys of some of the people on this community site:

http://community.parentprojectmd.org/video/video/show?id=1187424%3A...
This is a great way to raise awareness! Do you know which selected markets the radio and television "commercial" will be aired in? I would like to let friends and family know but do not want to have them looking for it if it is not going to be aired in their area. Will just have them check it out on-line instead :-).
Thanks,
Katherine
It is still getting worked out, but one of the games will be UW vs. Notre Dame. Should have a better idea on Tuesday...

Katherine M. Reynoldson said:
This is a great way to raise awareness! Do you know which selected markets the radio and television "commercial" will be aired in? I would like to let friends and family know but do not want to have them looking for it if it is not going to be aired in their area. Will just have them check it out on-line instead :-).
Thanks,
Katherine
Ohio is wearing the armband patch right now in their game against Temple. Check it out on ESPN 2.
Great. Did the announcers mention the program at all?
I see a lot of pink in the stands, cheerleaders, ref whistles, etc... Is there some kind of breast cancer event going on also?
Yup. That's why Temple is not participating as they had already made a committment to breast cancer awareness. However, I think they will be on board for next year.

Haven't been able to sit down and watch the game yet, so not sure if they have mentioned coach to cure...

Keith said:
I see a lot of pink in the stands, cheerleaders, ref whistles, etc... Is there some kind of breast cancer event going on also?
Looks like the actual PSA will not be played during the Washington vs. Notre Dame game, but we should get voice-over and in-stadium coverage (on the jumbotron). We will be running the psa on Fox Sports, but the game is on ESPN. Other networks involved to a greater or lesser extent include: FSN Big 12 Football (Fox Sports), Big Mountain Sports Network, Big Ten Network, ABC, Raycom, Fox Sports in Seattle Denver and Pittsburgh. ESPN will likely give us some voice-over coverage but will not be running the commercial.

Our biggest bet is probably during the Georgia vs. LSU game on CBS. TIAA-CREF donated their airtime to run the commercial. This is a high-profile game so let's keep our fingers crossed...

James Poysky said:
It is still getting worked out, but one of the games will be UW vs. Notre Dame. Should have a better idea on Tuesday...

Katherine M. Reynoldson said:
Thanks,
Katherine

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service