I received this email from Will about the Dr. Phil Show

Hi Donna,

I spoke with Steve Davidson for quite some time last night ¦who runs the Dr. Phil Foundation. He was extremely kind and very appreciative of the efforts of you and all of the other families that have called the show to get your stories and Pat's on the Dr. Phil show. He said that the producers are now very aware of the Duchenne community. That being said, he does not know if or when Duchenne will be featured on the show. In order to be on Dr. Phil, you have to have a problem, condition, etc., that Dr. Phil can intervene with or even fix (marital problems, stress, addiction, etc.). I told him that you had submitted your story along that premise, finding topics you felt related to you and your family's experiences with Duchenne, which he thought was great and exactly what you should do. IF, though, anyone from our community was ever selected, it would not be an hour show about Duchenne or even rare disease. It would more likely be someone representing a more general topic (as mentioned above) and Duchenne would be just part of their 3 minute story.

He also wanted to make clear that these things do not happen fast. It can be months or longer before someone who has submitted an idea is even contacted, and once contacted (like you were), it doesn't mean that you'll be on anytime soon. But he was not discouraging. He said several times that your efforts have definitely made the producers of the show aware of Duchenne and I believe that if a topic arises that you or Pat or another family would naturally fit into, you could potentially get a call.

The great thing is that we have not been ignored or blown off. Thanks to your efforts Donna, and the work of all of the other people you recruited, we are on the Dr. Phil Show's radar. Now, I think, it's time to wait and see. And maybe in a couple of months, check back in with Sheldon or whoever you have had contact with.

Thanks for your continued effort. Hope you're excited about Coach to Cure!
Will

SO NOW PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME ABOUT THE NEW SHOW "THE DOCTORS".

I have not seen it yet so could someone watching it please see if they list a website anytime during the show to contact them or what channel they are on or any information that will help me contact them and we will do the same thing with them.

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for keeping us updated and doing such a great job!

Okay, why not ask Dr. Phil to help bring about change in which he take a step outside his norm and provide air time for PPMD and other medical conditions that need help to bring about change and promote a chance for our children. He has had some shows where he provided some great give away gifts. He helps people feel good about their self. He wants to help and does so with people with problems he can work on and resolve. I say there is a way he can help and still put it in his program. He can donate a show for organization like PPMD that are fighting for a standard of care and working to make changes so our children will recieve the best of medical care. We can spin this any way he wants so he still gets his ratings and maybe new set of audiences.

Many large companies and organizations take time out to campaign to promote charities. Dr. Phil can start a new seasonal concept as I have suggested.

Does Will have a call back number?
The number for Steve Davidson is 323-956-3202.
I found out yesterday that the new show "The Doctors" is a spin off of the Dr. Phil Show so maybe if we call Steve he can direct us to somone at that show to talk to.
What do you all think?
Quote from the email above......"In order to be on Dr. Phil, you have to have a problem, condition, etc., that Dr. Phil can intervene with or even fix (marital problems, stress, addiction, etc.). "
Dear Jacobs mom, firstly i think you are amazing that you and others have done all of this so far, i would like this email to go to steve Davidson, re the above quote,
You have to have a problem, condition, firstly for me, i am in south africa, i have a serious problem that i am sure we all have and would love Dr Phil to look at, I have a son with Duchenne ( a condition) who is getting worse and worse, he is 17 and i live in fear everyday that this disease will take him away, How can I and many parents like me stop living in fear, when the phone rings at work, i fear the worse, when he is out with someone i fear he has crashed in his wheelchair, when he says mom i feel funny, i am petrified his heart will stop and i wont be able to get him to someone quick enough. I also have a huge problem in the fact that not enough doctors know about duchenne and what they can and cant give my son if ever there was an emergency, will the anethetist know what anesthetic he can and cant have, will they know that surgery and the implications of that surgery could take his life, does my local GP know what medications he should give him for pain, and the list goes one.
As parents of this disease where so much can go wrong with our sons, how are we supposed to know everything, if i was that clever i would have become a doctor. 17 years on, i still have to say to a professional doctor who looks at me sideways, um you cant give my son certain anesthetics, and when he challenges me, i need to run to my notes and try and read to him why he can and cant have some things, imagine an emergency, there just would be no time, this is my problem, not only living in fear, but if we had to hand our sons over to Drs we should trust, will they know what to do to save my son.
I dont think many see the daily things parents go through to just get through the day. We need help how to control our son, who is a twin. He is going through puberty, he lashes out, is angry, and often gets sad, how do we sort out this problem in our home, i could show footage of living in a normal family with a twin with duchenne, and a twin who succeeds at everything, and an 11 year old. My son Jarryd with duchenne is really challenging to live with, he will even attack in his wheelchair, he is obsessive, and sometimes really challenging, and can drive you and the family up the wall, Dr Phil could help a family because i know there are many, with similar problems intervene and teach us how to sort out behaviour in a family living with duchenne. The other thing that could be on the show is i know in our country, school, there are some disabled schools, which my son will not attend but how do you mainstream a child with learning difficulties and the rest, that could be a great story. and a Huge problem for Dr Phil to sort out. My sons sits at home everyday, there is no public transport for a person in a wheelchair where i live, there is also not many places that sell really great wheelchairs. We also have the problem of finances, my son because we are financially blessed has everything a hoist, a adapted car, a bath lift, widened doors, a special electric bed, a ventilator a special toilet to name a few. at the moment he has been at home for 3 weeks, because our gear box went on our car, so no transport, six months ago, he was in bed for a solid month because his wheelchair broke and because we bought the chair from a company in England, they refused to honour the warranty and after much fighting, we had to pay for it ourselves, we did not have the extra cash to buy a new motor. These are just some problems i face, and i know in south africa, there are boys with duchenne who get nothing from the state, so sit in bed day in and day out without even a tv, never mind a wheelchair, because they are the poorest of poor. The world is wonderful looking after the aids and poor people who dont even have food, but there is a race of people and children who are poor, there parents have died of aids and then add duchenne. i feel that there are many problems living with disability, and i know for me i would love some help advising me on just some of the problems i face..Every time my son has a birthday, he is laughing and so excited, i hate every minute of it because it just makes him older and i am so scared that today could be his last day. I just think that Dr Phil could use any of these angles to get a family on a show. I know not even my closest family and friends realised what a mission a short trip to the shop is like when you have to just nip in. These are issues the world needs to see and would be very interesting as a programme, Living with disability using a duchenne child who would pull at heart strings
Hope this comes across the way it is intended.
Kind regards,
Thanks for your insight Maxine. I am going to forward your thoughts to Mr. Davidson. As I said before I will not give up and maybe the new show The Doctors is a way to go.

I have a friend whose nephew worked for the Dr. Phil show and still has friends there so I am going to talk to him and see if there's anything he can do to help us.

maxine Strydom said:
Quote from the email above......"In order to be on Dr. Phil, you have to have a problem, condition, etc., that Dr. Phil can intervene with or even fix (marital problems, stress, addiction, etc.). "
Dear Jacobs mom, firstly i think you are amazing that you and others have done all of this so far, i would like this email to go to steve Davidson, re the above quote,
You have to have a problem, condition, firstly for me, i am in south africa, i have a serious problem that i am sure we all have and would love Dr Phil to look at, I have a son with Duchenne ( a condition) who is getting worse and worse, he is 17 and i live in fear everyday that this disease will take him away, How can I and many parents like me stop living in fear, when the phone rings at work, i fear the worse, when he is out with someone i fear he has crashed in his wheelchair, when he says mom i feel funny, i am petrified his heart will stop and i wont be able to get him to someone quick enough. I also have a huge problem in the fact that not enough doctors know about duchenne and what they can and cant give my son if ever there was an emergency, will the anethetist know what anesthetic he can and cant have, will they know that surgery and the implications of that surgery could take his life, does my local GP know what medications he should give him for pain, and the list goes one.
As parents of this disease where so much can go wrong with our sons, how are we supposed to know everything, if i was that clever i would have become a doctor. 17 years on, i still have to say to a professional doctor who looks at me sideways, um you cant give my son certain anesthetics, and when he challenges me, i need to run to my notes and try and read to him why he can and cant have some things, imagine an emergency, there just would be no time, this is my problem, not only living in fear, but if we had to hand our sons over to Drs we should trust, will they know what to do to save my son.
I dont think many see the daily things parents go through to just get through the day. We need help how to control our son, who is a twin. He is going through puberty, he lashes out, is angry, and often gets sad, how do we sort out this problem in our home, i could show footage of living in a normal family with a twin with duchenne, and a twin who succeeds at everything, and an 11 year old. My son Jarryd with duchenne is really challenging to live with, he will even attack in his wheelchair, he is obsessive, and sometimes really challenging, and can drive you and the family up the wall, Dr Phil could help a family because i know there are many, with similar problems intervene and teach us how to sort out behaviour in a family living with duchenne. The other thing that could be on the show is i know in our country, school, there are some disabled schools, which my son will not attend but how do you mainstream a child with learning difficulties and the rest, that could be a great story. and a Huge problem for Dr Phil to sort out. My sons sits at home everyday, there is no public transport for a person in a wheelchair where i live, there is also not many places that sell really great wheelchairs. We also have the problem of finances, my son because we are financially blessed has everything a hoist, a adapted car, a bath lift, widened doors, a special electric bed, a ventilator a special toilet to name a few. at the moment he has been at home for 3 weeks, because our gear box went on our car, so no transport, six months ago, he was in bed for a solid month because his wheelchair broke and because we bought the chair from a company in England, they refused to honour the warranty and after much fighting, we had to pay for it ourselves, we did not have the extra cash to buy a new motor. These are just some problems i face, and i know in south africa, there are boys with duchenne who get nothing from the state, so sit in bed day in and day out without even a tv, never mind a wheelchair, because they are the poorest of poor. The world is wonderful looking after the aids and poor people who dont even have food, but there is a race of people and children who are poor, there parents have died of aids and then add duchenne. i feel that there are many problems living with disability, and i know for me i would love some help advising me on just some of the problems i face..Every time my son has a birthday, he is laughing and so excited, i hate every minute of it because it just makes him older and i am so scared that today could be his last day. I just think that Dr Phil could use any of these angles to get a family on a show. I know not even my closest family and friends realised what a mission a short trip to the shop is like when you have to just nip in. These are issues the world needs to see and would be very interesting as a programme, Living with disability using a duchenne child who would pull at heart strings
Hope this comes across the way it is intended.
Kind regards,
Jacobs mom,

Keep pushing forward and if Dr. Phil does not take it on, someone else will. Just as dmd is not going away we will not as well. Perhaps Steve Davidson will be touched to help get this to another resource where we enlighted the world and raise money to help save your children.

Maxine has expressed so well the fears we have as parents watching our children, wondering is his cough serious or is going to pass? Another birthday, how much longer will our precious one be with us? Some countries have very limited resources available to them. I have heard in some countries when a child loses the ability to walk they are bed ridden unless the family can afford a wheelchair.

So, we just need to keep pushing forward and going and we will break down the walls.

Keep us posted and let us know what we can do here.

All the best!

Julie
Here is the website for the new show The Doctors. http://www.thedoctorstv.com

Go in and where it says "have an idea for a new show" start to fill the form out and keep doing it till one of us gets a response.
Hi!

I don't see the area where it says "have an idea for a new show", can you clarify. I would love to do what I can. You are doing a great job pursuing this and that is what it is going to take to help our children, thank you! Julie
I hope this link works.

http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/

Okay, do you see Dr. Phil in the link above...why can't he do the same for PPMD? That is what I am asking. He says he likes to help others. Perhaps he believes the topic is not as far reaching to help his ratings for him to take on the challenge?
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/ask_our_doctors

Here is a link to the page I used to send the letter to the Doctors.
I also sent the letter to each one of the doctors on the show. If you open the tab "Meet the Doctors" you can email each one ot them. So, I sent 5 letters to the show. Here's hoping they'll take notice. I think this shows format is more likely to take up this topic than Dr. Phil's. I also think Oprah's is as well.
Hi, On Oparah's website, there is a link to Dr.OZ who also helps families. Just thought I will share and hopefully we can send some emails there as well.
Thanks for all the good information. I will do what I can do a little later. We just need to all push and open doors where we can, persistence will change the course of dmd, it already has started. All the best! Julie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service