It's been a while since I Iast logged on and a lot has changed for my family. Karsten, my only child, who was diagnosed at 5 months old is now 19 months old. He is as smart as a whip and right on track developmentally. However, what is not on track for me is my marriage. Back to the reason for this post.... Very soon I am going to be a single parent and will have to go back to work. I'm wanting to know how other single parents cope with working and caring for thier child. I would like to find work that would give me the flexibility of being with my son as much as possible (and not some weird work from home scheme). I'd love to hear what the rest of you are doing and any advice you might have for me. Thanks. Jaime, Karsten's Mom.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jaime: I'm sorry you are having to go through this process alone. I know what its like. I've been a single parent for 19 years now and nothing like this is easy at all. I don't know what state you live in, but there are programs out there to help single parents, including help with day care.

Before Tim was diagnosed, I worked full time and went to college full time. When we moved to Florida, I worked full time while Tim attended day care until he was in kindergarten and from there on to school. We did pretty good and survived. There are programs out there to help you or assist you with day care. Tim was not diagnosed with DMD until he was six (6) years old and by then he was in first grade.

If your son is already received proper care and treatment by his doctors and in the home, he will be ok. Let him play, let him be him. He is doing fine right now, physically and mentally, just let him be Karsten. Be assure when/if you leave him at a day care (whether it be private or a day care) that he still be himself.

I was able to do it, and I know quite a few other single parents who have survived and coped with it. Whatever you do, whatever support you have from friends and family, grasp it now and hold on it if you can. You will need them for little things and maybe "big" things. Let them be there for you to help you through this trial period.

Also- please make sure that you have a PRE-EXISTING WAIVER from the current insurance for any new medical insurance you may have. This will waive his pre-existing conditions. Make sure you get one for each of you. Ask the current insurance for it. If you are not sure about it, don't hesitate to ask. But it will be your life saver with any medical insurance companies.

Don't be afriad to ask questions or share concerns. NO question is a stupid question.

Safe hugz!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service