Hi all,

Is anyone aware of a Phase 1 trial currently recruiting to look at 'the Efficacy of Using Far Infrared Radiation to Manage Muscular Dystrophies'.

More details on the Clinicial Trials website

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00674843?term=duchenne&am...
The description states:

"Observations from our research studies indicate that, far infrared rays provide energy to the body, improve the autonomic functions of the nervous system, restore the functions of the endocrine system, strengthen the immune system, improve blood circulation and increase the level of oxygen in the cells and promote the regeneration of muscle cells, nerves and brain cells.

It is hereby postulated that irradiation using far infrared, with wavelength between 5 to 20 microns, of the central nervous system, the endocrine system and the whole body could prevent, control, manage or possibly cure these neuromuscular disorders."

Would be interested to hear of any knowledge of this trial.

regards,
Mark

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I brought this up a couple of months ago. I took this information to our clinician, who looked it up on the spot. There may be something to it, but the doctor performing these trials is not very well known and he is also performing trials with far infrared in dozens of other conditions. It seems like a wide net has been cast in hopes that something will get caught. I'm not abandoning all hope on this, but I looking at it with a very critical eye. The trial doesn't even get into the mechanisms of why they think this might work.

I will say that, before this, I had a very high opinion of everything I saw on clinicaltrials.gov. I thought that only highly respected clinicians could get their trials posted on the site. Now it appears that more dubious trials are listed as well.
Hi Mark and Jerry,
I have sent a query around to some basic scientists for their 'take' on the idea. It is interesting and on some level seems a little crazy, but certainly interesting. I will post their responses.
Warm regards,
Pat
Thanks, Pat. I'm very interested in what they have to say. I think we all want this to be the real deal, but I certainly have my doubts.

There are far infrared spas available on the net for very reasonable prices (a couple of hundred bucks). If there is legitimate scientific evidence that this could even possibly be helpful to our sons, we wouldn't have to wait through years of trials to give it a shot.
Thanks for your replies. According to the Clinical Trials website there is also news on a Gentamacin trial - I thought this had been trialled a couple of years back and had poor toxicology results. Does anyone know anything of this?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service