Have you seen varying CK levels when tested at different labs?

Carter was first diagnosed based on CK level last summer (first was 13k and when re-done the next day it was over 15k) both of those were done through his GI using the children's hospital lab.

We had labs done for Dr. Wong last week and this time his CK was only 4895. It was done first thing in the morning with less active days beforehand, but I don't think that could explain such a huge difference in the level. I just sent the labs to Dr. Wong and asked if it was possible that it was lower due to him being less active and possibly also b/c he hasn't been getting his GH injections the past 2 months due to insurance issues and thus not struggling and fighting us every night while we pin him down to give them. But, that is only a minute of activity, I don't think it would change it so much.

It just dawned on me that the new labs were done at a local Quest and not through the hospital. I wonder if they just aren't as accurate?

Any input would be appreciated.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's a huge difference. I would be interested to know as well. I am still waiting on James's latest CPK results - I have only ever had results from 1 or 2 of them.
Look at the units. Are they the same for all results?
Hi Rhiannon - I have definitely seen different levels. I actually sent the same blood sample to both our local children's hospital and my pediatrician's lab, and it was almost twice as high at the children's hospital. I have found, however, that Cincinnati children's is very similar to our local children's.

I do also think that CKs are widely varied due to a very small change in activity level. I wouldn't read too much into them...
Kelvin's was different by 2,000 as well once only a week apart, but there are an extreme number of factors that can influence CK level. Kelvin's went up a lot, like 10,000 in a few months, but going up or going down can be positive or negative (at least that is what I've been told). By what I've heard or read, it can depend on different testing locations, exercise, early in the day or late in the day, just being tired in general, also, steroids, supplements, massage, stretching, etc. At the clinic, it was explained that higher can be better and isn't necessarily bad, in that the higher it is, the more muscle your child still has left, because as muscle is destroyed, it will gradually go down on average of 10% per year. I first thought that being high wasn't good, but then found out it is ok or even better. I know that kids on Losartan in other parts of the world have had their CK level go up, just as Kelvin has, even though he isn't on it. We are hoping his went up due to supplements, etc., but we also have no way to know. As far as going down so quickly like Carter, this can be good, as folks have discussed on here about items such as Protandim, etc. showing results of bringing down the CK faster than the 10% per year and that that is good, as that means that there isn't as much destruction going on. This certainly could be possible for Carter. I sure hope this is the case!! Please let us know what Doctor Wong says. My info. came from the Columbus Clinic when I asked months ago. Michelle

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service