We expect Bradley to eventually be in a power wheel chair. He is 11 and still walking. From the looks of his Thigh/Pelvis MRI, Dr. Wong is surprised he is still walking. So where does one begin to find a wheel chair acessible vehicle. I don't know if we have any companies in our area or not-St. Louis might be the closest.

With the gas prices and trips to Cincinnati every 6 months, I wish we could find something with better gas mileage. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee only gets 16.5 mpg. I have heard that some van's get 20 or more mpg. We may get a small car for now and wait until Bradley is actually in a power chair to get a wheel chair accessible vehicle. But I would like to start thinking about this and looking around so we are prepared when the time comes.

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI Lisa

I know they are expensive (what isn't?) but we just returned from London with our son's scooter in tow. Their taxi's are made to get through narrow streets while being extra extra large on the inside. Plus, they are low to the ground and have double doors. This means you could drive the scooter in with a modest ramp and after reaching the destination your son could drive it out the other doors without having to back up! They run on diesel and go forever. They have this cute retro-style, each one is custom to order so you get the bells and whistles you want, and LondonTaxi.com will ship them anywhere. Although it will be awhile before we need one the London Taxi is under serious consideration at our house.

Don't know if this will be of any use but there it is
cheryl
cheryl cliff said:
HI Lisa

I know they are expensive (what isn't?) but we just returned from London with our son's scooter in tow. Their taxi's are made to get through narrow streets while being extra extra large on the inside. Plus, they are low to the ground and have double doors. This means you could drive the scooter in with a modest ramp and after reaching the destination your son could drive it out the other doors without having to back up! They run on diesel and go forever. They have this cute retro-style, each one is custom to order so you get the bells and whistles you want, and LondonTaxi.com will ship them anywhere. Although it will be awhile before we need one the London Taxi is under serious consideration at our house.

cheryl
Cheryl: Thank you so much for that advice. I think it's important to look at ALL options that are available to us, though sadly they are limited. I will do the research right now!

Has anyone purchased a van from AMS?? They are located in Georgia.

Thank you,
Karen Rossetti
cheryl cliff said:
HI Lisa

cheryl
Karen,

We love our Hondy Odyssey rear entry van. We have had 2 full size vans and we love the minivan now.Ours was modified by Viewpoint Mobility http://www.viewpointmobility.com/

I would highly recommend either the Honda or Toyota.

Beverly
It's too soon for us to get a wheelchair accessible van since Bradley is not yet in a power wc...but unfortunately, we just learned our transmission is going to go out anytime. We are thinking about getting a Honda CR-V. They come in 4 wheel drive which is a good thing to have in Illinois.
I've been in contact with their US distributor who sent me the following email, reprinted with his permission:

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for contacting London Taxis of North America. Sorry for taking a bit of time getting back to you but I have been out of the country for the past two weeks.

The London Taxi has some excellent features for people in a wheelchair. We have a customer near New Orleans that was looking to purchase a modified van as well but found that the London Taxi worked better for her after a trip to London . If you would like to ask her for advice on the vehicle I will gladly contact her and ask if it is OK for you to call her. It has made travelling a lot easier for her.

Here are some links to YouTube where you can see how the wheelchair rolls into the vehicle:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27lYmEKwk1U

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0ODigMXuM

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCqU4xpDdA

4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf45D8G0xn0

Here is a bit of background information to our current sales situation. Both the US and the UK have changed emission regulations so our entire production capacity is at the moment geared towards fulfilling the domestic UK demand for our vehicles. This means that we will not see any new vehicles into the US until late 2009 or early 2010. The model that we will be receiving will be a US version of the TX4 but we have no information on this vehicle as it has not been produced yet. The US version will be different from the UK version.

However, we have a number of 2nd hand units (TXIIs) that we are allowed to sell. I have attached a copy of our most recent 2nd hand vehicle availability list where you can see colors, price, year and mileage on the individual vehicles we currently have available.

As you can see there is a bit of everything to choose from and you have the option to customize the vehicles to your needs and wants.

All the 2004 models are in a good condition and do not need body work or paint. Some of the 2003 models need a new coat of paint and a bit of body work. Or you can choose to do a vehicle wrap. The vehicle wrap can stay on for about a year and will cover the entire vehicle.

Please let me know if you would like to receive any pictures of the vehicles and I can forward these to you.

All the best,

Jesper

Jesper L. Jorgensen

Advertising Sales Director

London Taxis of North America

Office +1 773-663-4224 ext #103

Cell +1 508-361-7504

Fax +1 773-663-4220

31W021 North Avenue

West Chicago, IL 60185

www.london-fleet.com

cheryl cliff said:
HI Lisa

cheryl
Attachments:
Hi Lisa, I'm Ana. My son Austin will be 10 in a couple of weeks. We are about to get his first power chair. I purchased a new Dodge Grand Caravan (unmodified) in November, because I knew we would eventually need a van. Little did I know, It would have to be modified. We are now looking into the modifications, which have been quoted at $14,000-17,000. Very expensive when you add the cost of the van, but too late to take it back. I dont know if its cheaper to buy already modified or not....
I do love the Dodge, I wouldn't give it up for anything!! It's been a lifesaver, and its not even modified yet.

Good luck with your search.
I have been looking into any type of wheelchair vehicle and I have found around my area you are lucky if you can find one for less than $600 a month for 10 years. I thought that was pretty steep for one. I have a Dodge Grand Caravan with the stow and go seating. Thank God my sons wheelchair reclines. I just fold down the back seats and with a portable ramp I wheel his chair in. This is after I transfer him into a van seat. It's getting tougher because he is getting taller and heavier but until I can find one that I can afford this is our method.
Karen Barnett said:
Yep! I agree - very expensive. But we can dream huh? I drive a Honda Accord now and it is great. Never breaks down and gets good gas mileage.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service