Endurance capacity in maturing mdx mice is markedly enhanced by combined voluntary wheel running and green tea extract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18583385

J Appl Physiol. 2008 Jun 26.

Call JA, Voelker KA, Wolff AV, McMillan RP, Evans NP, Hulver MW, Talmadge RJ, Grange RW.

Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, United States.

Duchenne muscular dystrophy is characterized by the absence of dystrophin from muscle cells. Dystrophic muscle cells are susceptible to oxidative stress. We tested the hypothesis that 3 weeks of endurance exercise starting at age 21-d in young male mdx mice would blunt oxidative stress and improve dystrophic skeletal muscle function, and these effects would be enhanced by the antioxidant, green tea extract (GTE). In mice fed normal diet, average daily running distance increased 300% from week 1 to week 3, and total distance over 3 weeks was improved by 128% in mice fed GTE. Running, independent of diet increased serum antioxidant capacity, EDL tetanic stress and total contractile protein content, heart citrate synthase and heart and quadriceps beta-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase activities. GTE, independent of running decreased serum creatine kinase, heart and gastrocnemius lipid peroxidation and increased gastrocnemius citrate synthase activity. These data suggest that both endurance exercise and GTE may be beneficial therapeutic strategies to improve muscle function in mdx mice. Key words: antioxidant capacity, muscular dystrophy, oxidative stress, voluntary wheel running.

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We give green tea extract to our son. Additionally, he gets some from the protandim supplement.
Tina,
How much do you give Mark?
Nicki
Hi All:
I just came across this abstract on GTE as well. Where do you purchase it and is it pharameceutical grade? Do you give the liquid form?
Additionally, does anyone offer creatine and glutamine supplementsto your DMD boys?
What about Curcumin? There is a bit of evidence based research on these as well.
I'm very new to all of this as my son was just diagnosed with DMD/BMD earlier this month.
Thanks,
Noreen
Hi there Irishgirl,
Just for the record, I am officially an Irish Hibernian member. The LAOH club has done a ton of fundraising for Duchenne research. Go Irish!
But about green tea.... I give our 7 year -old son, 315mg ( capsule) a day. Dr. Escolar ( she is no longer practicing at the DC CINRG site) recommended it to me. There are different types of green tea with different levels of potencies. I'll get you the information and post it for you. Truthfully, I am not sure what the recommended GTE dose is for boys of various ages.
Our son took glutamine and creatine for over 2 years. We stopped giving it to him in January since Dr. Leshner didn't feel boys with DMD were getting robust results from them. Soon, I'll be giving juven to our son which contains l- glutamine in it. I give our son one whole Protandim a day which contains curcumin, ashghawanda, green tea, milk thistle, and bacopa.
I started a thread for the Maryland ( that's me), DC, and Virginia area. Feel free to join up.
Email me anytime. Take care,
Tina
This post was copied from another forum I belong to. This is not my post but one belonging to another parent. Here is a bit from our GTE thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many green tea extract supplements on the market are less than 20% polyphenols, EGCG, etc.

I found this supplement when looking for a pharmaceutical grade green tea extract... It has got 8mg of caffeine in it which is around 1%. However, it has got a wealth of polyphenols, catechins and EGCG.

http://egcggreenteaextract.com/

Here's others w/o caffeine...

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00954.html#Mega-Green-Tea-Extr...

https://www.immunesupport.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/PH302/...

The first is much more potent, however, and the caffeine is little and in my opinion would probably be beneficial as a fat burner for our little eaters.
I went ahead and ordered the egcgreenextract tea. Caffiene is supposed to help with ADHD also.
Hi:
Does anyone out here actually use this supplement on their child with DMD? I purchased a bottle of GTE and noticed that it was 45% graon alcohol - although it was organic. Ha!
In it's liquid form, I assume is the best way to give it. Is it to be mixed with water? If anyone actually uses this, have you noticed any difference on any way, shape for form?
Tina:
My son was just diagnosed last month and is nearly 9. So, I'm searching and searching, but do not want to go the route of things that are not evidence-based. I also do not know how to properly work this site yet. You seem to know quite a bit about supplements and Leshner is also your doc, right?
O.K. - I should look for GTE with the highest levels of polyphenols, EGCG and Catechins???
And with the creatine and glutamine- did they seem to help your son in any way? Are there any other supplements you think I shouls research? Is your son actually missing exons or having mutations? When did you figure out this news about your son? Is he still mobile on his own? On steroids? I'm so sorry for the questions, but as you can see, I'm still in that mode. Thanks so much,
Noreen

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service