On Saturday, May 15th, Mandy and I held our first ever charity event for our boys. After diagnosis about a year ago, the first charity we came in contact with was http://jessesjourney.com. Since then, we've been in regular contact them, and were lucky enough to have the founder, John Davidson, come out and visit us last month. Once the initial shock wore off, we new we wanted to do something to help the cause, and decided a run/walk in coordination with Jesse's Journey's "Walk Across Canada In A Day" was what we wanted to do. Mandy and I are comfortable enough financially to not need any financial assistance, especially living in a country and province where almost all of our related expenses are covered. As such, we wanted to raise money and have all the proceeds go to a charity. Jesse's Journey was our first choice since they do nothing but fund research.

It was a lot of work, and certainly more than we expected when we first talked about it. The group over at Jesse's Journey was a great help though. They helped up work out details we hadn't even thought of. We set up a 5km route and gave people the option of walking or running it once or twice. It was held in Weyburn, a small city of only 10,000 people in Saskatchewan, Canada.

When we first started planning the event we wondered how many people we would get to participate and how much we could raise. We hoped for 50 people, most of whom we expected to be close friends and family. We ended up with 115 people. We wondered if $10,000 was too high of a goal. We came up with just over $19,500, and we're still expecting a few more pledges to come in.

It was an incredible day for us, seeing that much support from our community and those nearby. Businesses were eager to help out with our expenses and supplies. Friends from high school were contacting us asking how to pledge and how else they could help. I managed to run the 10km, which is the longest distance I've ever run. Mandy walked the 5km, pushing Hayden in a stroller, while an aunt pushed Cameron's stroller. It was a physically and mentally exhausting day, but even two days later, I'm still on an emotional high. We're already looking forward to doing it again next year.

Views: 72


You need to be a member of PPMD Community to add comments!

Join PPMD Community

Comment by Keith Van Houten on May 31, 2010 at 10:16pm
Congratulations. Sounds terrific!

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.



© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service