Tactile Sensitivities

Information

Tactile Sensitivities

A group for all the families that have children with tactile sensitivities, to share experiences and tips on how to deal with the additional issues this raises

Members: 41
Latest Activity: May 4, 2015

checklist (Extensive checklist of all symptoms associated with SID/SPD, in a printable format. Great to sit down and go through then take to your next neuro appointment if you have any concerns)

Presentation on Behavioural Issues with boys with DMD:
PPMD2007Poysky.pdf?docID=2227

Discussions

Our life with SID/SPD

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Denise Gionet Sep 20, 2010. 7 Replies

Yikes - A Sleep Study?!?!

Started by Karen Barnett. Last reply by Susan Nantais May 1, 2009. 2 Replies

Explaining the condition

Started by Julie Gilmore. Last reply by Cathie Bullis Apr 3, 2009. 1 Reply

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Tactile Sensitivities to add comments!

Comment by Suzanne Desmond on September 14, 2010 at 12:30pm
Karen, Glad to hear he on not on the spectrum. Glad also that you checked it out as well. God Bless, Suzanne
Comment by Suzanne Desmond on September 14, 2010 at 12:28pm
Mandy, Glad you got your son diagnosed & am sorry to hear that he has Aspergers. ASD can make dealing with DMD more difficult, at least for us. Again, I just wanted to give families this information so their boys can get the help they need asap. God Bless you, Suzanne
Comment by Suzanne Desmond on September 14, 2010 at 12:24pm
Julie, So glad to hear you had that checked out & of coarse that he is not on the spectrum. I just wanted to give people this information who may not be thinking about it. God Bless, Suzanne
Comment by Mandy on September 14, 2010 at 11:13am
Suzanne, our son was diagnosed with Aspergers by the neuropsych at Cincinnatti Childrens Hospital 2 years ago.
Comment by Karen Barnett on September 14, 2010 at 12:18am
My son also had a full neuropsych. He was also not deemed to be on the autism spectrum. I have seen kids with autism and he is not autistic.
Comment by Julie Gilmore on September 13, 2010 at 11:00pm
Suzanne our son has been evaluated and is not deemed to be on the spectrum - but thanks for asking - it was one of the first things I had checked :D
Comment by Suzanne Desmond on September 12, 2010 at 9:43pm
I just have a question for all. Are your boys on the Autistic Spectrum? Have you had them tested for ASD? My son was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 10 most are diagnosed with ASD when they are toddlers or a little older. If you have not had your son tested for ASD please consider it so they can get the help they need as early as possible. It took me 9 months to get his diagnosis. They all seemed to be looking at his DMD & not DMD & ASD. I finally got someone to listen & test him & sure enough he had ASD. Don't let the doctors blow the subject off either. I took my son Francis to a Neuro-Psychologist. I hope that your sons are not on the Autistic Spectrum, I would not wish it on anyone or any family, but you need to know either way, so please consider what I have said, I don't want anyone to go through what my son has gone through in his young life & what we as a family have & are going through.
God Bless Suzanne
Comment by Char Burke on September 12, 2010 at 3:19pm
Mandy - So - we were a little lax about teeth brushing until we went to the dentist and he had decay that went down to the root and the dentist said he couldn't fill it. So, from then on - fuss or not - we had to figure out a way. We bought a Sonicare tooth brush for him - kids type. It is more quiet than adult types and it makes a musical/high tech sound when it's time to move the brush to a new area. The brush runs off of electricity so you have to have it in a cradle when it's not in use to charge it. It comes with two size brushes. It has two face plates so the kiddo can customize to his/her liking.
Step two - we use these rubber picks on the bottom teeth and a floss hook on the top. My husband is there and shines a flash lite so I can see better when I am doing this. He also tells him a story & it distracts him enough that he is busy listening to the story rather than fussing. And, we make it part of the bed time routine. If he is tired, he is a bear...so we try and keep him on a schedule.
Step three - manual tooth brush - I use this b/c of the lack of muscle tone around the mouth, it makes it harder to brush at the top of the tooth where the gum is. I was surprised to find out that the dental hygenist does this too.
Step four - when he does go to dentist - he goes to a specialty one and they know how to work with kiddos that have sensitivity issues. Plus, the dentist gives him a special sealent of flouride to help with the potential decay.
I have heard from a cousin - who takes prednisone with MS, that the steroids dry out the mouth so it does a number on the decay. Also - not sure how old your guy is but our guy has gotten better in the last 2 yrs. Our guy is 8 yrs now. Char Burke
Comment by Mandy on September 12, 2010 at 3:25am
Hi everyone, I just discovered this group while browsing through the PPMD while I can't sleep......DMD on my mind !
Love the socks and shoe stories-all so familiar. Do any of your boys have sensory issues with teeth brushing ? My Alex is so uncooperative and won't open his mouth properly so he gets a lot of plaque and then of course going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning is a sensory nightmare.
Comment by Ana on April 7, 2009 at 8:25pm
Thank you!! So much!! It's so great to hear others understand!!

Members (41)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service