Middle Tennessee Families with Duchenne

Information

Middle Tennessee Families with Duchenne

Families living in Middle Tennessee who utilize Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital

Members: 12
Latest Activity: Nov 11, 2014

Discussions

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Middle Tennessee Families with Duchenne to add comments!

Comment by Kimberly Foernsler on October 13, 2008 at 9:41am
Jim & Melissa:

Kory was 12 when he got the wheelchair. We got it after he had the spinal fusion. No one else has responded so I think that would be fine for you take it. That way you'll have it should the need arise. As you can see from the pictures Kory was pretty small. At his biggest weight which you can see in a couple of pictures he weighed 130 lbs. Your son is younger than Kory but like you said he isn't ready for the chair yet and hopeful will never have to use it. I'm sure your local MDA clinic can help get the seat correct for your son. That's one of the keys is comfortable seats and those are more specialized to your son sizing needs. My husband is having surgery today and won't be able to help at all with the lifting for a few months. But it doesn't sound like you are in a hurry at this point. We also have a manual chair that you could have too. It's in okay shape but again I'm sure the clinic can help with the getting it in good shape. Lets just keep in touch at this point and see when is a good time for us to get together on getting this to you or to your friends.

Kim
Comment by Jim & Melissa Smith on October 12, 2008 at 2:00am
Hi Kim,
It has been a blessing to read that you have no regrets. I am sorry for your loss, but I do thank you for continuing to be there for others.
We are interested in the powerwheel chair, if there isn't anyone else who needs it right away. We are hopeful that we won't need it for a very long time, but we just don't know. We have a friend just north of Nashville that would be more than happy to pick it up for us. We just don't know how to determine if it would be the correct size or if it will adjust to the correct size.
Thank you, Jim & Melissa
Comment by Stacey Andrews on October 9, 2008 at 11:03pm
Kim,
Thank you for posting. I just visited Kory's page. 16 seems young to me these days ....can you share with us some details if possible. Thank you for staying connected even though the care taking part of your journey is over.

We just went to Dr. Markum today and got a favorable report. My son will be 14 on Monday.

Also - if I can help facilitate a wheelchair transfer to anyone I am willing to try. We do have a van.
Comment by Kimberly Foernsler on October 9, 2008 at 3:29pm
To all of you in the Nashville Area:

I have a powerwheel chair (it needs a new battery & cushion). It's in good condition. It has recline, lift, and foot support that also raises. I don't really have a way getting it to anyone but if you can come get it you can have it. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Thanks,
Kim
Comment by Kristi Powell on October 9, 2008 at 3:18pm
Anyone going to Vandy on Nov. 6th?
Comment by Jim & Melissa Smith on September 28, 2008 at 11:36pm
Although we live in Ga, we are most likely going to use Vandy, as we have heard better reports from it than Scottish Rite. There is also the possibility of relocating to middle Tennessee, as I need a new job.
Comment by Kristi Powell on September 28, 2008 at 10:32pm
Hey Stacey...glad you started this. I had thought about doing it, just hadn't. We have talked before, but we use Vandy too even though we are in West TN. I am quite pleased with the changes they have made and what the future may hold now that Dr. Markham is there. Hope others will join and maybe we can meet up at one of our appointments.
Comment by Stacey Andrews on September 20, 2008 at 8:48pm
I am just trying to connect with other families who utilize Vanderbilt to compare care and ideas as well as any treatments other people are doing. My son loss ambulation this summer so we are on a new path. Hope everyone else is well!

Members (12)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service