My son is 23, has a full spinal fusion and is on so pretty heavy-duty pain pills. My concern is the pain pills are a mask for the mental pain and not so much for the physical pain.

Does anyone else have a similar story or any suggestions on what to do?

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

I have been taking Amitryptiline for nerve pain in my back, while it is an antidepressant it is known to help nerve pain and is great at keeping it down. While the normal dose is too high because it'll knock you out for hours, I take 3.5 ml in an oral syringe (not sure what the mg is) and have a fine sleep and my back doesn't bother me too much at all. I'm 26 with DMD have not had surgery but my back is twisted and that can be very painful. Really sorry to hear your son is suffering so much. Ian
When did your son have the surgery? My son is 21 and had the spinal fusion 7 yrs.ago.  Does he have osteoporosis? Also is he talking to a therapist, social worker etc. someone who is not family so he might open up about his feelings?
I am so sorry to hear about your sons pain and suffering David. If he has had the surgery recently I am sure he needs the pain meds, but there is no doubt in my mind that he is suffering with mental pain. My two sons are both ventilated but neither has had spinal fusion. However, their good friend Jason Abramawitz has and his mother is on this sight, I am sure you could friend her for her input.  I will tell you that we found our whirlpool tub to be a blessing to Jason for releaving the pain and achy feeling in his back. Don't know if you have access to one but if so it's a miracle worker. Try to contact Adele she is a great resource for spinal fusion.

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service