Information

Duchenne Smiles

A Duchenne smile is a True smile, cannot be faked and exemplifies true enjoyment.

Members: 115
Latest Activity: Feb 27, 2014

A Duchenne Smile, A true smile

Since finding out about Jake and Colin having DMD, I have not had a lot of joy come from the word Duchenne. It’s was not a word I was aware of before the boys’ diagnosis, and if given the choice I’d rather not know its meaning. Learning the word along with the new adventure coming with it has made it a word that I don’t like to say. Well today while searching the word on google, I found a meaning that I like A LOT better. A Duchenne smile. A Duchenne smile is a True smile, cannot be faked and exemplifies true enjoyment. I thought how ironic, our boys at times may find it hard to smile, but when they truly do, it carries the same name as what can make for hard days. So I decided to make this group, where we can share stories and photos of our boys and they’re Duchenne smiles  I encourage you to do so. I’d rather associate the word Duchenne with a smile..how bout you?
The main photo is of my son Jake at his make a wish trip. He asked to meet the coast guard, and that “Duchenne smile” pretty much sums up what a great experience it was.
Peace and Love…..Danielle Bath

P.S. here is a link to its description on wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile

Discussions

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Duchenne Smiles to add comments!

Comment by Joel Rhodes on February 23, 2009 at 12:04pm
What a great group. I agree, when Levi smiles, it is a smile that just warms my heart. Seeing all my boys smile is about the best thing in life.
Comment by Dina on February 23, 2009 at 11:44am

Comment by Jennifer Collier on February 23, 2009 at 10:09am

This picture says it all. Ryan is always happy!!
Comment by Tammy on February 23, 2009 at 10:00am
My son Josh will be 18 in May...we are making a video from birth up. One thing I notice going threw all of your pictures....Joshua has a great big SMILE in most every picture. Even during the "hard- difficult" times in life. Our boys are truly amazing!!!!!!
Comment by donna saccomanno on February 23, 2009 at 9:04am
Glad to be a part of!
Comment by Karen Barnett on February 23, 2009 at 12:56am

Comment by Julie Garcia on February 23, 2009 at 12:12am
Danielle,

I love your spirit, I love your way of thinking. Thanks for the invitation and the description of smile. I too would rather associate duchenne with a smile and capture my son's happinesss..
Comment by Cheryl Markey on February 22, 2009 at 6:47pm
Danielle, hello from Cheryl Markey, my 23 yr. old son Adam has DMD.....and he also has the sincere Duchenne Smile...that was described by what you read on google....our sons have been dealt a sad situation in life and yet they can smile, on days when I don't want to smile Adam is always smiling and that in turn changes me from a gloomy face to a smiling face.....Adam is my strength, sad to say this when he is the one living with DMD, but, he truly is my strength!
Thanks for sharing the pic of Jake on his Make-A-Wish Trip.......words can never ever explain the smile on his face in that pic!
Thanks for starting this group!
Cheryl

Members (112)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service