Information

Duchenne Smiles

A Duchenne smile is a True smile, cannot be faked and exemplifies true enjoyment.

Members: 115
Latest Activity: Feb 27, 2014

A Duchenne Smile, A true smile

Since finding out about Jake and Colin having DMD, I have not had a lot of joy come from the word Duchenne. It’s was not a word I was aware of before the boys’ diagnosis, and if given the choice I’d rather not know its meaning. Learning the word along with the new adventure coming with it has made it a word that I don’t like to say. Well today while searching the word on google, I found a meaning that I like A LOT better. A Duchenne smile. A Duchenne smile is a True smile, cannot be faked and exemplifies true enjoyment. I thought how ironic, our boys at times may find it hard to smile, but when they truly do, it carries the same name as what can make for hard days. So I decided to make this group, where we can share stories and photos of our boys and they’re Duchenne smiles  I encourage you to do so. I’d rather associate the word Duchenne with a smile..how bout you?
The main photo is of my son Jake at his make a wish trip. He asked to meet the coast guard, and that “Duchenne smile” pretty much sums up what a great experience it was.
Peace and Love…..Danielle Bath

P.S. here is a link to its description on wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile

Discussions

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Duchenne Smiles to add comments!

Comment by Trinh Nguyen on April 16, 2011 at 3:13am

Glad to join the group.

This is my boy's smile.

Trinh

Comment by Andrea Cleary on March 28, 2011 at 10:20am
Sorry it came out so big.
Comment by Andrea Cleary on March 28, 2011 at 9:31am
Comment by Shellie Buriak on August 30, 2010 at 2:41pm
Luke's smile is what gets me through most of the hurdles of DMD. If he can get through this with a smile on his face most days. I try to keep him smiling.
Comment by VELIA on June 30, 2010 at 7:02pm
I agree that the smiles of our children are the most beautiful and sincere, just enough to see the pages of all children and all are truly beautiful.
Comment by Jo-Anne on March 11, 2010 at 6:09pm
This is my Kevin taken during his power diving training which is done through Montrose Access, Sue Nicklin, his physio started a program for our boys and he thoroughly enjoys doing this.
Comment by Donna Gluck on January 9, 2010 at 3:30pm
I am a doctorate candidate @ NIU, researching emotional responses in boys with DMD. This includes happy, sad, excited! I can only meet with those in Illinois. Please help me raise awareness and spread more smiles! Donna Gluck
Comment by Tina & Darren Harris on December 21, 2009 at 3:32am
Hi we are in Australia and our son Tyran has DMD and over hear down under. Tyran had a starlight wish pleas feel free to look at my page and join my group for starlight.
and add us to your friends list
tina & darren harris
Comment by Eunice Rivera on December 16, 2009 at 10:08pm
My son Michael in his senior picture. He had the most beautiful smile, he never lost hope and he never felt sorry for himself. He was such an inspiration to everyone around him. Forever in our hearts.

Comment by Deb Robins on November 14, 2009 at 11:12pm
No one makes Doug happier than his brothers and his mates. None of us can stop laughing when we are reunited. Why don't they write a sitcom so I can have that sports car?

Members (112)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service