Members: 38
Latest Activity: Jun 22, 2017

Discussions

Brian

Started by Jessica Moore. Last reply by Michael M Sep 7, 2012. 2 Replies

DMD Sibling Study

Started by Laura Hermann Jan 17, 2011. 0 Replies

Sibling Rivalry

Started by Jane Belland Karwoski. Last reply by Jane Belland Karwoski Aug 19, 2010. 3 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of DMD/BMD Siblings to add comments!

Comment by Joanne Keeley on May 23, 2009 at 1:13pm
Is anyone out there for my 10 year old son Dylan to talk to?? I don't see much activity on the board- I just joined last night for my son's benefit...
Dylan suffers from alot of anxiety over his brother, Wyatt (12 yrs in August).
Wyatt is having a rougher time these days and I'm wondering if there is a child out there in Dylan's position...
Comment by Valerie on December 8, 2008 at 9:48am
I am 30 and I have a brother who is 27 who has BMD. Just knowing there is even a message board for siblings gives me comfort. I have felt so alone for so long, its so nice to have others who are going through the same struggles we are. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories!
Comment by Jo-Anne on July 29, 2008 at 7:08am
Hi Robyn
Thank you for your reply. I find that daughters are so much more like a little mother in the house and love doing things for their sibblings. I am pretty sure too though one day my eldest will be the opposite with his brother, right now, it is just the sibbling rivalry that goes on between brothers who have an age gap of almost 4 years. We will win one day. I am so happy to hear that you have an awesome man in your life who stands by you. This is what you need and good on you.
I will keep in contact and thank you for your reply. It is great to know that there is support out there. Regards Jo-Anne
Comment by Robyn Hoffman on July 22, 2008 at 12:06pm
Hello Joanne;
My daughter is 28 and having a brother with DMD has been a huge task for hwer over the difficult years of growing up. She now is his closest alliance and even is the "lead" care giver on his care staff of paid employees! They are incredible together considering all she had to do without when it comes to the special attention when Curtis was a youngster. I had very little help from Curtis' dad ( now divorced) and remarried to a awesome man!

The challenge for siblings is really hard at times. The amount of energy and the realities of everyday life take it's toll sometimes. Looking back though I am glad it is behind us... The daily challenges are of a differnet kind- mainly those of a grown man who is normal in every way except the motor abilities... Quite overwhelming but, having him live in his own home with competent staff 24/7 make the whole senerior bueatiful beyond decription.
Robyn
Comment by Jo-Anne on July 18, 2008 at 1:46am
I have an elder son who turned 15 in May and because his brother final diagnoses was last year, this has been a hard journey for him and he does not like talking about it. Does anyone else who has older siblings or of this age find that their are not coping as well?
Comment by Misty VanderWeele on June 14, 2008 at 6:12pm
My daughter will be 9 on July 11th. the age difference between them doesn't seem to get in the way of them being sibs, she loves him and everything about him affects her. She has a huge heart when it comes to Luke. Here is a picture that says everything. They do fight sometimes, mostly when she gets tired of helping him do stuff or when Luke gets bored he picks on her. His favorite thing to tell her is she is going to be road kill when he is thru with her. She just spits her tongue out at him knowing he wont run her over.

Comment by Liisa Underwood on May 25, 2008 at 11:48pm
Connor's older brother, Scott, where's his PPMD pin proudly. He's almost 5 but seems to be grasping what is going on with Connor. We keep the explanations simple and always answer his questions. Now if I can remind him to not crash into Connor's push car when the two of them are racing their push cars, that would be great! ;-)

Members (37)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service