Latest Activity: May 16, 2018

Discussions

New trial coming to Winnipeg

Started by Joshua's mom. Last reply by Joshua's mom Jun 21, 2013. 7 Replies

Who pays for your deflazacort?

Started by Angie Evans. Last reply by Andrew Kerr Apr 2, 2012. 7 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Canadian Families to add comments!

Comment by Roman Litwinchuk on December 8, 2009 at 10:13pm
Hi, I'm Roman and I have a handsome son, Zachary, with DMD. Zac is 13 years old and is still ambulatory. I am married to Irene and also have a beautiful daughter, Cassandra. We live in Mississauga, Ontario and we attend ErinOak Kids for Zachary's support. I am interested in staying connected in order to be as informed of medical developments as possible and to help and seek help from this group.
Comment by Debra Chiabai on December 7, 2009 at 5:25pm
Hi Leslie,
I have a son who is 9 1/2 who was diagnosed with DMD at age 2 1/2. I live in Ottawa but have family and a cottage near Kingston.

Welcome to the group. Feel free to get in touch if you want to talk to someone "local".

Debra
Comment by Joshua's mom on October 5, 2009 at 11:47pm
Marion,
If you look below at our last post you will see the web sites I put so you could look into it more. I hope it helps.

Naomi
Comment by Marian Lamberson on September 25, 2009 at 7:21pm
Debra, did you find more info on Idedebone? I would be interested to pick your brain about it.
I will see you on Tuesday at the meeting and hopefully i can absorb some wisdom!!
Can't wait to see you momma!! xo
Comment by Penny Pratt on September 24, 2009 at 10:46am
Hi Jason,, Is your son get a disability cheque.. If so you should be able to send your receipts into them and get reimbursed. I would pay for my son's then send in the receipts for any drugs that are not covered by insurance and they would reimburse me for it..
Comment by Marian Lamberson on September 24, 2009 at 10:38am
Hi jason, we also pay out of pocket, no chance having it covered. We have Standard Life and they say NO...it is not as expensive as we initially thought, i guess cost doesn't really matter at this point. I hope your able to find a company to cover it...let me know how it works out!! Take care!! :)
Comment by Debra Chiabai on September 24, 2009 at 9:25am
We pay about $60 for 180 tabs. It used to be less until they raised the price. You are unlikely to be reimbursed. Great West Life won't cover it because it is an investigational drug. I even tried sending them some studies about it. If you have another insurance company, it's always worth asking. Let us know if if works out.
Comment by Jason G on September 24, 2009 at 9:20am
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting Deflazacort covered by insurance or are you paying out of pocket? Our pharmacy said since its not an officially recognized drug in Canada we probably won't get reimbursed by insurance.
Comment by Debra Chiabai on September 20, 2009 at 11:25am
The price does not sound too bad when compared to what we are paying for CoQ10. Thanks very much for the additional info. I'll definitely look into it since I have been hearing good things about idebonone.
Comment by Joshua's mom on September 20, 2009 at 10:32am
Debra,
With shipping, taxes and trade it cost $347.00 for a year supply. When taking idebenone you don't have to take coQ10 because it is a stronger strength of it. I'll give you the Canadian site to explain it and the other site where we bought it because of the price difference. Joshua too used to take coQ10 for 3+ years as well until we switched.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/notices-avis/conditions/catena_fs_fd_117672-eng.php to understand what it is and

http://www.idebenone.info/ to purchase. Otherwise you will be paying $20,000.00!!!

Naomi

Members (54)

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service