Hi,
I'm curious if you guys have any places that you love to go to with your ambulatory sons? Places fun (from a 8 year old's perspective) but easy to walk? Beaches easy to manage? State parks? Amusement Parks? Whatever. We're in N. CA but I'd love a bunch of ideas in S CA too ( for vacation ideas we could get to on the cheap!). The "accessible" label sometimes doesn't actually help us find stuff our son can manage (I'm sure you guys know this already . . .)
Rebecca

Views: 34

Replies to This Discussion

Mammoth Mountain has a great Disabled Ski Program. My son did this a couple times. They take them in a chair lift or help them on modified ski's to enjoy the snow. We use to take my son skiing and ski him between our legs until he got too big. Now he enjoys going to the ski program.
We have also tried Casa Colina's Jr. Adventures for Rehabilitation program. They offered the kids a chance in the program to go sailing, waterski, jet ski, kayaking, etc. As a family, Disneyland has alot of accessible rides and get the pass at the front of the park, this saves you time in line. Knott's Berry Farm also has a Disabled Persons pass that gets you to the front of the lines most times.
Here's a few:

Pacific Grove near Asilomar Conference grounds has great board walks through the dunes: easy walking and rolling. Beautiful.
Monterey: Fisherman's Wharf. Smaller scale than San Francisco; not as crowded. Walking trail (wide sidewalk) you can take all the way to Monterey Bay Aquarium, if you want. About a mile...shops here and there, small industry related museums, hotel right there so you can leave your car and explore.

Lake Tahoe: +Dock that's high enough extends out far enough to actually be able to fish in the lake. Breathtaking.
+Behind Fallen Leaf Lake (S. Lake Tahoe) trail up toward Angora Lake. We've walked it several times; a little more challenging in a chair, but we've done it, too. Angora Lake is a small alpine lake; a bit of a trek but do-able if you take it slowly, but a little store at the lake that sells fresh lemonade, easy "beach", big jumping rock into lake. Fun to watch, if you don't want to jump in.
+Stream Profile Chamber trail at Visitor Center (S Lake Tahoe). Great Trail, mostly flat, showing habitat, experiments you can try along the way, part of creek has been cut away and thick glass inserted so you can observe cross section of stream, from bottom to sky. Rangers feed fish daily and you can watch the feeding frenzy and interaction between everything that lives in the creek. Ramped down into the viewing area. Benches for kids to stand on, visible for people in chairs.

Big Bear: Accessible 1/4 mi circular trail through forest. Fun.

San Diego: have developed a booklet on Accessible San Diego. I think you call the Tourist Bureau. I've seen ads in Sunset & Travel section of LA Times. Great marina "trails", shopping, huge kite flying on weekends...and then Sea World etc. Good package deals. We've taken train down from Los Angeles area for the day.

Los Angeles / Glendale: Griffith Park Travel Town. Railroad cars you can climb through (sometimes little ones need a boost getting up the stairs) You can even arrange birthday parties inside one of the RR cars. Check to see if they still have the pony rides and Carousel near by in the park.

More later. Enjoy.
Laurie

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2018   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service