This post is for any Australians or Singaporeans, or anyone interested in helping to raise money for research to find a cure for DMD. I am also posting it under a couple of categories to get the most exposure.

My husband, Julian Thompson, and I have organised a bike ride from Sydney to Melbourne in Australia (a total of over 1000km) to raise a million dollars for MD research. If you are interested, or would like to be a part of it, please read Julian’s letter below.

To all PPMD Australians,

I have been spending a lot of my time and energy in the gym training for the next event I am organising and undertaking.

As some of you know, I am doing all I can to raise money and awareness to help cure the insidious disease that my son, your sons, brothers, cousins, friends, and many other young boys live with every day,
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

I have also been spending most of my time with my young family, especially my son James whilst he is still mobile to enjoy all the experiences a 4 year old should be experiencing.

After finding out this disease was the reason that my son was unstable on his feet and kept falling over, back on Father’s Day in 2006, I promised him that I would do everything humanly possible to try and cure his disease, so he can have the life that all children deserve.

Last year I raised just over to $AUD150,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, by riding 500km around Cambodia on a mountain bike with a group of equally dedicated riders. It was the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and such an amazing experience personally and emotionally. It has given me even more strength and determination to do greater things so we can cure this disease faster. So this upcoming March I am doing something even harder . . . longer . . . and tougher.

The Tour Duchenne - "Million Dollar Challenge"

The concept is pretty straight forward. A group of 25+ riders will ride from Sydney to Melbourne in March 2009. Each rider has to raise $AUD40,000 to help achieve our total goal of $1 million. This money will be split between the two major research centres in Australia for Muscular Dystrophy - at the Institute of Neuro-Muscular Research (INMR) based at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, and the National Muscular Dystrophy Research Centre (NMDRC), based at The Royal Melbourne Children’s Hospital in Melbourne. The Tour Duchenne will commence at the INMR and finish at the NMDRC.

Please go to the website to read more about the tour.
http://www.tourduchenne.com

I know many of my friends and colleagues supported me on my last effort through Cambodia, and support my family and I on a day to day basis with kind words and prayers. Those people are forever in our hearts.

James is 4 now and has a bike that he is able to ride. They said he would not be able to do this, so the fact that he is pedalling a bike is a massive achievement for him. The reason he is able to do this is because of the drugs he is on to slow the wasting of his muscles. These drugs, the ongoing research, and the therapy he gets comes from wonderful people throughout the world who have dedicated their lives to helping little boys like James and trying to come up with a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

If you would like to help and donate to my undertaking, you can go to the website below. Please keep this website and also feel free to pass it on to anyone you may feel would like to help cure this disease.
www.challengemd.org/TourDuchenne/riderprofile.asp

Here you can support either myself or any other rider who is supporting me in this event. If you are Australian, all donations are tax deductible, and the website is very secure in terms of payment.

All donations of $1000 or over will be in the running for 1 week stay at Jamelyse House (our holiday house) on the Gold Coast for their generous contribution. Please go to the website to view. www.jamelyse.com

Alternatively, if you think you are up to the Million Dollar Challenge and would like to take part, or would like more information on the Ride, please get back to me for more details. I have media packs printed and ready for distribution.

Let’s cure this disease together, one kilometre at a time!!

Thanks for your support

Julian Thompson

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Sharyn & Julian

All the very best with this idea. I saw Dr Kornberg's rider profile a few days ago, but didn't realize it was your brainchild. My Douglas watches the Tour de France every night this winter (and the international soccer) so the French connection would certainly resonate with him. Ironically I don't think he ever got rid of his training wheels but he swam into his mid-teens. Good luck with your training and support of research in Oz.

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2022   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service