Can anyone recommend a good mobility scooter?  I saw several of the boys at the conference in many different brands.  Which ones are good and why?

Views: 120

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lelia, My son Kevin (11) has had a scooter for almost 4 years now. He is using it more now since he has been having trouble walking since a fall in March. He loves his scooters (he has a few now). I also got the idea when I saw a boy on one at the Advocacy Conf. in D.C. a number of years ago.

We started off with a Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra. We bought it off www.scooterville.com (they have great prices and are the biggest distributor of Pride Mobility scooters -- you can't buy directly from Pride). His school also bought one for him to use there when he entered 3rd grade as it was a bigger school with different levels (they had a lift already for a previous student in a wheelchair). It was a good solution so I didn't have to drive him every day in our mobility van and prevented wear and tear on our scooter. The school was open to the idea as the scooter was a lot cheaper than a handicapped van and a driver. Just throwing that in there in case your son ever needs one at school. Kevin is now entering 5th grade and last year they had to buy another scooter for him as the first one went on the blink and it was made sense economically for them to just get another scooter.

Ok, now at home we just got him a new scooter as the GoGo Ultra was on it's last legs after three years of use. We got him a Pride Mobility GoGo Elite Traveller which is a little bit higher off the ground, a little longer and has slightly bigger tires which we feel made sense. It still fits great in our mobility van (although if you don't have a van these scooter can be taken apart into a few pieces pretty easily -- although I would not want to do that every day!. It's a great scooter and it comes with three color panels that you can change off and on, for a change.

We also recently got him. what we jokingly refer to as his ATS (All Terrain Scooter), a Pride Mobility Revo scooter. This scooter is about 2 1/2 to 3" off the ground, bigger tires, front and rear lights, and it can be driven on grass, rocks, etc. Since Kevin has been less mobile this year we found that this would be good for him when he is with his friends down at the baseball fielld in town and in the near future when his friends start riding their bikes around -- Kevin can be on his scooter and keep up with them. We don't want him to miss out on the companionship of his friends. Luckily Kevin is very outgoing and friendly and has lots of friends. Friends who know about his DMD and look out for him too. We are very lucky in that area. Our fellow townspeople all know Kevin and his story and are so supportive. We live in a small town in Northeast NJ.

I highly recommend these scooters and urge you to buy them online. I don't recommend Rascal. Friends of ours bought one for their son recently and forgot to ask us about it and they got ripped off. Paying $1,600 for a scooter that is not as well built and sturdy as Kevin's Pride Scooters. The GoGo Ultra or Elite can be gotten for less than or about $1,000. The Revo is about $1500/1600 and we got a good buy on ours at a dealer here in NJ that we met at an Abilities Expo because we made a deal and bought another small scooter from them that was discontinued and we got that one dirt cheap. We plan to use the cheapy in our house. We recently bought a raised ranch in town that we are in the midst of planning renovation to make accessible for Kevin.

The MDA used to pay for scooters but discontinued that last year. I think they should start reimburing again for stuff like that. But that's another post. Friends in town rasied money for our family and that helped pay for the scooters. Insurance may cover it but you have to be careful because if you put in for a scooter and you need a power wheelchair within three years they won't pay. Better to pay out of pocket for the scooter and put in as a medical expense on FLEX plan or taxes. Be sure to get a prescription from the doctor for the scooter.

If you have anymore questions, you can send me a message here on the boards and we can exchange ph. numbers. Where in the country are you? Your son will love the scooter and the independence instead of being pushed around in a transport chair. We also have a transport chair that we use for Kevin for quick trips and for the airport, etc. You can get one for around $200 in the Med. supply store or even less in a Walgreen's of a CVS. The more expensive one is lighter as it is made of hard aluminum vs. steel on the cheaper.

My son is at MDA camp here this week for the first time and took his Revo to get around. Lots of kids at the camp had scooters too! I guess the scooter is the new "wheelchair" these days -- for now -- we know that down the road, however, the power chair will takes its place. But for now, Kevin justs feels cool and like a regular kid on his scooter. His friends all think it is cool. Yeah, it's cool but DMD is not. Another blog.

Hope this helps you.

Patti Frank
pattifrank54@optonline.net
We also have the Go Go Elite and love it. We got the 4 wheels instead of just 3 for extra stability. Not sure on your son's size, but a seat can be made to fit him if he's small like my son. We were also able to get the seat lowered and only had to add a small two inch high foot rest to keep his feet from dangling. We contacted the MDA when we got ours. At that time they were still paying the $2000 every 3 years. They set us up through The Scooter Store. We ended up having insurance pay for it, but since my husband was leaving that company and changing insurance, we didn't have to worry about future mobility device payments.
Patti,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful, informative reply. I am learning that this is a popular scooter for DMD families. We have a friend that works at a custom mobility company in our town (Gainesville, FL). He has offered to help us customize a scooter for Dale (who is 8 and just started 2nd Grade). He has suggested starting out with a foot plate welded to the seat or the seat post instead of cutting of the seat post. He says he thinks this may help with posture concerns of driving a scooter. He has assured us that if this doesn't work we can change it until we find what does. I was concerned with Dale being able to climb into it with the foot plate. Any thoughts on that?
Rick (my husband) and I like the idea of the Revo. The boys are adventurous and that would make it easier for Dale to keep up. Right now all the little boys in the neighborhood has those electric Razor scooters. Dale has a Razor jeep made by Peg Prego with a 24 volt battery. It is still working for now but doesn't go as fast as the other boys' scooters, he gets frustrated.
Was this your son's first time at MDA camp? How did you sell him on it?
Your post was VERY helpful, thanks,
Lelia

Patti Frank said:
Hi Lelia, My son Kevin (11) has had a scooter for almost 4 years now. He is using it more now since he has been having trouble walking since a fall in March. He loves his scooters (he has a few now). I also got the idea when I saw a boy on one at the Advocacy Conf. in D.C. a number of years ago.

We started off with a Pride Mobility Go-Go Ultra. We bought it off www.scooterville.com (they have great prices and are the biggest distributor of Pride Mobility scooters -- you can't buy directly from Pride). His school also bought one for him to use there when he entered 3rd grade as it was a bigger school with different levels (they had a lift already for a previous student in a wheelchair). It was a good solution so I didn't have to drive him every day in our mobility van and prevented wear and tear on our scooter. The school was open to the idea as the scooter was a lot cheaper than a handicapped van and a driver. Just throwing that in there in case your son ever needs one at school. Kevin is now entering 5th grade and last year they had to buy another scooter for him as the first one went on the blink and it was made sense economically for them to just get another scooter.

Ok, now at home we just got him a new scooter as the GoGo Ultra was on it's last legs after three years of use. We got him a Pride Mobility GoGo Elite Traveller which is a little bit higher off the ground, a little longer and has slightly bigger tires which we feel made sense. It still fits great in our mobility van (although if you don't have a van these scooter can be taken apart into a few pieces pretty easily -- although I would not want to do that every day!. It's a great scooter and it comes with three color panels that you can change off and on, for a change.

We also recently got him. what we jokingly refer to as his ATS (All Terrain Scooter), a Pride Mobility Revo scooter. This scooter is about 2 1/2 to 3" off the ground, bigger tires, front and rear lights, and it can be driven on grass, rocks, etc. Since Kevin has been less mobile this year we found that this would be good for him when he is with his friends down at the baseball fielld in town and in the near future when his friends start riding their bikes around -- Kevin can be on his scooter and keep up with them. We don't want him to miss out on the companionship of his friends. Luckily Kevin is very outgoing and friendly and has lots of friends. Friends who know about his DMD and look out for him too. We are very lucky in that area. Our fellow townspeople all know Kevin and his story and are so supportive. We live in a small town in Northeast NJ.

I highly recommend these scooters and urge you to buy them online. I don't recommend Rascal. Friends of ours bought one for their son recently and forgot to ask us about it and they got ripped off. Paying $1,600 for a scooter that is not as well built and sturdy as Kevin's Pride Scooters. The GoGo Ultra or Elite can be gotten for less than or about $1,000. The Revo is about $1500/1600 and we got a good buy on ours at a dealer here in NJ that we met at an Abilities Expo because we made a deal and bought another small scooter from them that was discontinued and we got that one dirt cheap. We plan to use the cheapy in our house. We recently bought a raised ranch in town that we are in the midst of planning renovation to make accessible for Kevin.

The MDA used to pay for scooters but discontinued that last year. I think they should start reimburing again for stuff like that. But that's another post. Friends in town rasied money for our family and that helped pay for the scooters. Insurance may cover it but you have to be careful because if you put in for a scooter and you need a power wheelchair within three years they won't pay. Better to pay out of pocket for the scooter and put in as a medical expense on FLEX plan or taxes. Be sure to get a prescription from the doctor for the scooter.

If you have anymore questions, you can send me a message here on the boards and we can exchange ph. numbers. Where in the country are you? Your son will love the scooter and the independence instead of being pushed around in a transport chair. We also have a transport chair that we use for Kevin for quick trips and for the airport, etc. You can get one for around $200 in the Med. supply store or even less in a Walgreen's of a CVS. The more expensive one is lighter as it is made of hard aluminum vs. steel on the cheaper.

My son is at MDA camp here this week for the first time and took his Revo to get around. Lots of kids at the camp had scooters too! I guess the scooter is the new "wheelchair" these days -- for now -- we know that down the road, however, the power chair will takes its place. But for now, Kevin justs feels cool and like a regular kid on his scooter. His friends all think it is cool. Yeah, it's cool but DMD is not. Another blog.

Hope this helps you.

Patti Frank
pattifrank54@optonline.net
Thanks Laurie,
Yes, Dale is rather small. He is around 48". We are going to work with a custom mobility place to help us fit it to his size. Thanks for your post. It sounds like this is a popular brand of scooter.

Laurie Paschal said:
We also have the Go Go Elite and love it. We got the 4 wheels instead of just 3 for extra stability. Not sure on your son's size, but a seat can be made to fit him if he's small like my son. We were also able to get the seat lowered and only had to add a small two inch high foot rest to keep his feet from dangling. We contacted the MDA when we got ours. At that time they were still paying the $2000 every 3 years. They set us up through The Scooter Store. We ended up having insurance pay for it, but since my husband was leaving that company and changing insurance, we didn't have to worry about future mobility device payments.

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2018   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service