Hi, 

My nephew is 13 years old and he's been using a scooter to move around when he goes outside. Since school started this year, he's been very tired and having pain in his legs and back. We believe it is because he has to change classrooms almost every hour or needs to go to the bathroom. We are thinking that it is time for him to use a wheelchair in school, but it is so scary to us to think that spending so much time in the wheelchair will impact him further.

Do you have any advice for us?

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My stepson George is 12 and in jr high. He's been in a motorized chair full time for about 3 yrs now. He has IEP, individualized education program so mostly he's in the same classroom, except for art and science which are just mainstream classes in other rooms. Toileting has been an issue in the past but therapists recently visited and did some training of the nurse and some other faculty. What's your biggest concern?

We've always been told that it's important that he stays active in order to maintain muscle strength and function, so we worry that spending too many hours sitting in a wheelchair can worsen things. My sister already talked to Christopher about the possibility of him using a wheelchair in school. He didn't seem to like the idea, but that's the only option we have.

Rachel Sedacca-Replogle said:

My stepson George is 12 and in jr high. He's been in a motorized chair full time for about 3 yrs now. He has IEP, individualized education program so mostly he's in the same classroom, except for art and science which are just mainstream classes in other rooms. Toileting has been an issue in the past but therapists recently visited and did some training of the nurse and some other faculty. What's your biggest concern?

Patricia, is your nephew still walking, or is he permanently in a wheelchair/scooter?

Eventually it becomes safety over everything else. His back pain and leg pain is obviously not good either. When my oldest started in his chair we made it out as a cool thing and the other kids would ask him for rides.lol  Eventually, everyone accepted it and didn't even see it anymore. We did get him out of it as much as possible at home and did lots of stretches with him. But, like I said, safety first. Plus, you won't worry about him transferring anymore from scooter to desk or whatever. Good Luck.....Bob

Hi Mark, my nephew is still walking, but he can only walk short distances at home.  

Thanks for the advice, Bob. You are right. Safety first.

From my son's experience I can tell you that at the age of 9 he fell down frequently to the point that it became an issue of safety. So at this point he was ready for a wheelchair. However once he went into the wheelchair he was (in a short amount of time) not able to walk anymore.

To back up just a little, before he was in the wheelchair, at school he would fall with the slightest bump from another child. For him it became too much to handle on his own two feet.

Patricia said:

Hi Mark, my nephew is still walking, but he can only walk short distances at home.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service