I have never seen anything about vision being affected by DMD but I found out that my son technically needs bifocals since he is both near sighted and far sighted. His distance vision is not bad 20/25. I missed what he said about his vision for reading. He said he could get by without glasses for his distance vision but he mainly needs glasses to read. I thought it was strange that an 11 year old child would technically need bifocals.

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa,

Duchenne is associated with red-green vision impairment (color blindness) in 66% of patients with an exon deletion downstream of exon 30 ( a higher number exon such as 31, 55, 64 etc). This according to a paper by Costa et al. in "The American Journal of Human Genetics Volume 80 June 2007".

Bob
The muscles of the eye do not have dystrophin they are the only muscles in the body that do not need dystrophin so your sons vision deficits are not from the DMD
Bob,
That is very interesting. Color blindness is also X-linked recessive. So it makes sense. My sister's husband has color blindness too. Does it only affect those with deletions?

Bob McDonald said:
Lisa,

Duchenne is associated with red-green vision impairment (color blindness) in 66% of patients with an exon deletion downstream of exon 30 ( a higher number exon such as 31, 55, 64 etc). This according to a paper by Costa et al. in "The American Journal of Human Genetics Volume 80 June 2007".

Bob
I agree with Rosalie, I have never heard anything about this and my son is 23 yrs. old. I feel that alot are jumping the gun that everything their son has or their behaviors are all caused from having DMD, I agree maybe some other conditions are from having DMD, but, other conditions such as behavior problems could be something they just have outside of having DMD and DMD having anything to do with these behaviors, they may just have them just like other children that don't have DMD. I been reading about that it being bad for boys to use the stairs, I told my son this and he said, I walked up stairs ( mostly pulling himself up using the railing ), he reminded me that the MD Clinic PT always took him and the other boys to the stairs each time we went to clinic, he said he always pushed himself to be as mobile as possible, as if you don't use the muscles you loss them, not all boys progress the same, I am also seeing boys who are still walking, with motorized wheelchairs, my son tried a walker first while he was still walking to help from falling, then he went into using a manuel wheelchair using his arms muscles to push him as he could still stand and walk some, then when it became very hard for him to walk then he got his motorized whelchair, he walked till he was 14. He was always active! He said don't rush the progression any faster than it will happen on it's own, don't shut down any mobility you still have.
Seems most of the MD Dr.'s have their own ways and theroies.......when it comes to stairs, starting the boys into motorized wheelchairs while they can still walk, pushing the computer and video games on a 2 1/2 yr. old ( all children will know how to do these things as they celebrate each birthday, yes, this will be a good part of their recreation when they get older, but not their only form of recreation, no need to push it at them ), these replys are from my son when I have told him what I read on here......we are here to help our sons not hamper them from doing things in life while they still have the strength to do so, quess he knows what he is talking about after all he is the one living with DMD, not me or his Dr.'s and he knows his body best and his limitations.

Hope all has been well with each of you and your love ones coming into the weekend of this week,
Cheryl
Rosalie and Cheryl,

I'm sure it is just a coincidence that Bradley these visual problems. To be honest, I'm not all that sure the optometrist assessment finding was accurate. I had even forgotten all about this, in fact. I'm sure this is not associated with the DMD but it was just a thought.
Bradley does have an opthalmologist appointment in April. The neurologist wanted to have him checked for cataracts since cataracts are associated with steroid use. I will ask what he/she thinks in regard to him having both far-sightedness and near-sightedness.
I do still think the color blind info. is interesting.
Bradley is another one who is determined to stay mobile and continue walking as long as he can. We don't hold him back. We allow him to use his own judgement on what he can and cannot do and when he needs to rest. The things he does, like going hiking, are the things that make him happy. I want him to enjoy his life to the fullest and that means letting him be the judge of what he can and cannot do.
Hello, Lisa
Great hearing from you!
Adam was also watched for cataracts due to being on Predisone, helps the boys but, comes along with bad side effects.
You and your amily sound awesome!

Cheryl

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service