Not so good news coming from Summit & BioMarin. The original plan was for a clinical trial to start "early" this year.
BioMarin is now helping with the preclinical work. http://www.bmrn.com/pipeline/utrophin-inducer.php
The following message is from ActionDuchenne who initiated contact with both Summit and BioMarin to inquire about the apparent delay. (Thanks Action Duchenne!)
We have received a speedy response from Biomarin (which I suspect has prompted the update on their website) which states that although Summit has the responsibility for all preclinical activities, as was contemplated in the original agreement, 'BioMarin is providing substantial assistance with this work'
They advise that during the third quarter of last year, it became apparent that 'the proposed formulation of the drug did not have suitable bio-availability and therefore Summit and BioMarin are currently working to modify the formulation.
Biomarin state that if the reformulation and related pre-clinical research are successful, they intend to commence trials as soon as feasible.
Naturally, we will continue to push for progress on this with both Summit and Biomarin.