Troponin Level Elevated - Another "Cardiac Event"????

Happy Thanksgiving to All.  We were life flighted to Phoenix Children's Hospital yesterday afternoon.  Our 14 year old son had been complaining since Monday of his heart beat feeling "funny", then Tuesday the same thing, and Wednesday morning we took him to the ER when he said now his chest hurt, "sorta painful, pressure".  The ER doc found his Troponin level to be 17.9, spoke with Dr. Wong who concurred that it required further investigation.  Over the past 18 hours he has had normal Echo, EKG, heart rate pretty stable around 100-112, 100% SAT, and the Cardiologists here are baffled.  They are drawing Troponin levels every 8 hours with hope to see a trend downward and for his "funny heart beat" and "chest pressure" feelings to go away before they release us.  His Troponin levels have been 17.9, 13, and now at 2 a.m. was up over 20 again. Does anyone have any insight to help figure out what may be going on or suggest any further testing. He has been very "tired" for over a year, just found to have extremely low iron level (6), high white blood count (10-19 over the past year).  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, and more importantly for us all to begin to learn about what is a "normal" troponin level for our sons?

Views: 5434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for introducing me to these articles and to the website. It's all very interesting.
Prayers that you get this figured out! With these recent events we are actually having baseline troponin levels drawn for Xavier (age 9) next month, We asked at our last appt to have it ordered. He has had absolutely no cardiac problems thus far, echo and EKG's have all been normal. We do not see Dr. Wong, but our MD was fine with the idea of having baseline results so if we ever have a cardiac event we can go into the ER armed with baseline Cardiac enzymes. We are just having them drawn the same time we have an IV started for a cardiac MRI. I will definately share what they are if anyone is interested.
Hi Jennifer, my opinion is that everyone will benefit by sharing any information of their son's troponin level. It will most likely take a multi year study to find out how this enzyme reading is (or is not) relative to our boys. My son has always has normal cardiac "everything". He always complains of feeling dizzy, sometimes "heart beating funny" but nothing ever documented during diagnostic tests. This week he was observed in ICU for almost 3 days, no documentable cardiac events, troponin levels as high as 20.9 to as low as 4.9 this morning, fluctuation up and down by 4-5 points, but overall in a downward trend, no more chest discomfort so they sent us home. They say the cause for his chest pain with high troponin levels is "undertermined".

If you can please email me!!  My son had this event just happen and now has fibrosis seen on the MRI..

Did they do and MRI?

Lisa said:

Hi Jennifer, my opinion is that everyone will benefit by sharing any information of their son's troponin level. It will most likely take a multi year study to find out how this enzyme reading is (or is not) relative to our boys. My son has always has normal cardiac "everything". He always complains of feeling dizzy, sometimes "heart beating funny" but nothing ever documented during diagnostic tests. This week he was observed in ICU for almost 3 days, no documentable cardiac events, troponin levels as high as 20.9 to as low as 4.9 this morning, fluctuation up and down by 4-5 points, but overall in a downward trend, no more chest discomfort so they sent us home. They say the cause for his chest pain with high troponin levels is "undertermined".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service