Shortly we will be going on a trip. It will be the first time we have my son's power chair. I am looking for any tips anyone can give me regarding the power chair with regards to the airlines. I would like to have it get back to us in one piece. I am worried that they may damage it in some way.

Thanks,

Janine

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you flying on a US carrier? They have habits and rules regarding handling of mobility devices. You can call your airline and find out more but I think they shouldn't put it with the baggage. If they take it to the section of the plane where they put strollers, you would be better off. Plus, if you tell them he needs to board the plane using it then it goes with you.

We've travelled with our son's scooter nationally and internationally. The thing I learned taking it out of the US is NEVER FLY AIR FRANCE, don't forget the charger system and be prepared to rent a wheelchair in the event the power chair fails to work well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
cherl
A friend of ours puts a note on the chair "Please be careful with this wheelchair. It cost $36,000" She also describes how to turn it on/what to do in order to move it.
make sure removable parts are removed and you carry them, dont leave seat belt dangling, ours got ripped off! be sure they know you need it from gate to gate, we waited an hour to deplane because ours somehow went to baggage!
Hi Janine,
We've flown several times with our son's chair. There is a specail checkin area,
allow extra time. We take the seat off and we put it into manual mode. then
we remove the control arm and pack around it and tape it to the seat to keep
it out of harms way. Then the Airline covers it in plastic. So far so good,
Good luck!
Cindy
We went on our trip. We went to NYC. The person from the MDA office here called up there and they found us a power chair to use. Didn't end up using it much though. When we got there and realized how extremely crowded the streets and just about everything else there was no way he would have been able to drive around. We had his travel chair and that worked well. Not as comfortable for him but definitly less stressful.

Thanks for the tips.
Speaking of traveling, my son has been using a power chair for a couple of months now, basically at school. However, I would like to ask you if there is a TRANSPORT CHAIR you would recommend for traveling on the plane, nationally and internationally. I would be very thankful for any advice on that.  Have a good day everyone! Isabel;)
Not sure what you mean by Transport Chair but we've found good luck using a simple folding manual wheelchair when travelling internationally.  You could look at a company called  Red Barn for a product they sell called LoveHandles.   Heard this works very well with boarding planes and transfers.

Isabel Cubas said:
Speaking of traveling, my son has been using a power chair for a couple of months now, basically at school. However, I would like to ask you if there is a TRANSPORT CHAIR you would recommend for traveling on the plane, nationally and internationally. I would be very thankful for any advice on that.  Have a good day everyone! Isabel;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service