My 5 year old can't yet swallow pills and I thought I found the perfect calium plus Vit D product.  Life Force chocolate liquid calcium,but he hates it!!!

How do the rest of you give calcium?  Thanks!

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TUMS....chewable and in flavors...we give 1000 mg a day.
Caltrate makes a chewable calcium plus Vitamin D -- Fruit flavored.
We use Vitafusion gummies for many things, including Calcium, CoQ10, vitamins B, C, D, E, and Omega 3.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=206248&catid=32535

My son loves them... :)
Great!!! Thanks.

Keith & Jill VE said:
We use Vitafusion gummies for many things, including Calcium, CoQ10, vitamins B, C, D, E, and Omega 3.

Do you use the adult calcium gummies?

Keith & Jill VE said:

My son is an adult who cannot swallow those huge calcium pills. Does anyone know of a smaller calciuim pill?
A gummy anything would be lethal at his age, but I can give liquid anything into his feeding port directly into his stomach. Tums are too "chalky" with a bitter aftertaste. I bought a powder form which I could dilute and put through the Mic-key port, so that is what I do for now. It is actually a fizzy lemon flavored drink which I haveto let go flat as carbonation is not tolerated. The formula we use has 25% of his calcium daily requirements. I have not been too worried since he never took steroids and has never broken a bone, but reading all this makes me think I should give him extra calcium. I will ask his doctor of course, but I really would love to find a form of calcium in pill form that is easy for him to swallow.
We use the gummies as well. We have used the Vitafusion as well as some from Walgreens that Landon loved called Osteo8 but some Walgreens are discontuing them now. My issue is how much to give. Our Dr prescribed 500 a day of Calcium and Vit D but I keep being told that is not enough by other DMD parents. The problem is that 2 of those gummies are only 200 each so he has to take like 4 or 5 a day plus all the other stuff so it makes it hard on him. The big Caltrate, which is what our Dr prescribed is so big and dry that he cant stand to chew them. We all just have to do our best I guess getting them to take it all with a smile! :-)
Viactiv has different flavor chewies that remind me of carmel candies.
We have a variety of products we have tried with our 7 year old who changes what he will accept every few months (finds swallowing pills very difficult). I add Benefiber Plus Calcium to his juice which is 300mg calcium per Tbsp (unfortunately this is the max dose recommended for Benefiber for his age). I also crush Citracal with vitamin D(500iu Vit D 630mg Calcium) into applesauce which he can swallow. We recently found a liquid Calcium Vitamin D citrus Flavor made by Wellesse (1000 mg Calcium 1000 IU D per 2 Tbsp) which can be just taken by the spoonful if your son likes the flavor-ours does not but we found if we put it in 7-up- he will drink all of it down without a complaint.

best wishes to you :)
Hi Ann,
You might have Roy try Oscal Chewable, I am able to find them at Walgreens.

Ann Avery said:
My son is an adult who cannot swallow those huge calcium pills. Does anyone know of a smaller calciuim pill?
A gummy anything would be lethal at his age, but I can give liquid anything into his feeding port directly into his stomach. Tums are too "chalky" with a bitter aftertaste. I bought a powder form which I could dilute and put through the Mic-key port, so that is what I do for now. It is actually a fizzy lemon flavored drink which I haveto let go flat as carbonation is not tolerated. The formula we use has 25% of his calcium daily requirements. I have not been too worried since he never took steroids and has never broken a bone, but reading all this makes me think I should give him extra calcium. I will ask his doctor of course, but I really would love to find a form of calcium in pill form that is easy for him to swallow.
Hi,
My son is not into swallowing big pills either so we found an alternative called OsCal, it is a chewable tablet that kind of melts in your mouth. It is a light lemon chiffon flavor (sugar and gluten free). It is 500mg of Calcium and 500 IU of Vitamin D that helps with absorption. The dose needed is very individual, but can be determined quite easily be a blood test to check D levels. The levels will change so they will need to be checked periodically. How much sun one gets will also be a factor. There are benefits to managing this at any age, with or without steroids. Hope this helps. Can be found at Walgreens.
Katherine
Thanks Katherine--we will check it out. I remember taking Oscal when I was pregnant, and they were small green pills. Haven't seen them since, but will look at Walgreens soon.

Katherine M. Reynoldson said:
Hi,
My son is not into swallowing big pills either so we found an alternative called OsCal, it is a chewable tablet that kind of melts in your mouth. It is a light lemon chiffon flavor (sugar and gluten free). It is 500mg of Calcium and 500 IU of Vitamin D that helps with absorption. The dose needed is very individual, but can be determined quite easily be a blood test to check D levels. The levels will change so they will need to be checked periodically. How much sun one gets will also be a factor. There are benefits to managing this at any age, with or without steroids. Hope this helps. Can be found at Walgreens.
Katherine

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service