For those that have their son in any kind of aquatic therapy, what do they do?  Is there a good website somewhere that could give me ideas on what to do with Sam in the pool?  What about pool depth?  Does the boy need to be able to touch bottom? 

Thanks!!  We have an aquatic center here in our school system now and I'm trying to work something out with them to get Sam in the water.  Oh, and what about temp?  They told me the temp is kept at 80.  Is that too cold?

Views: 610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Jennifer. I would also appreciate a copy of the handout. My email is: vlail@shaw.ca
Hi Jennifer,
thank you. we a pool at home, but have been going to an indoor pool at a local school during the cold weather. I have been told swimming is a good exercize to do, but the problem we have encountered a couple times is my son has had pain and difficulty walking when he gets out of the pool. any information you have would be great. we are going to open our pool when the warm weather returns and I don't want him doing anything that is causing harm.
Denise
dbgionet@msn.com

Jennifer Wallace said:
Hi Laurie and any other interested parents,
I am a PT and this subject has been brought up by many parents that I have contact with. I was a swim instructor, then an aquatic therapist and now work with boys with DMD. In response to the many questions surrounding swimming, I wrote a short handout for parents and swim instructors to better understand swimming when it comes to DMD. I can send it to you if you forward me your email address. I am currently out of town and will send it as soon as I return.

I hope it helps,
Jennifer Wallace, PT

www.jenniferwallacept.com
jenniferwallacept@sbcglobal.net
Thank you for the information. With so much contridicting information out there it is difficult at times to know the right thing to do. Your information was very helpful. Thank you
Denise Gionet

Denise Gionet said:
Hi Jennifer,
thank you. we a pool at home, but have been going to an indoor pool at a local school during the cold weather. I have been told swimming is a good exercize to do, but the problem we have encountered a couple times is my son has had pain and difficulty walking when he gets out of the pool. any information you have would be great. we are going to open our pool when the warm weather returns and I don't want him doing anything that is causing harm.
Denise
dbgionet@msn.com

Jennifer Wallace said:
I am a PT and this subject has been brought up by many parents that I have contact with. I was a swim instructor, then an aquatic therapist and now work with boys with DMD. In response to the many questions surrounding swimming, I wrote a short handout for parents and swim instructors to better understand swimming when it comes to DMD. I can send it to you if you forward me your email address. I am currently out of town and will send it as soon as I return.

I hope it helps,
Jennifer Wallace, PT

Laurie Paschal said:

That would be great!! My email is abbyplustwins at gmail dot com.

Jennifer Wallace said:

I hope it helps,
Jennifer Wallace, PT

Dear Jennifer,

So appreciate. My e-mail: trinh.nguyen@nssb-vn.com.vn

Jennifer Hernandez said:

I hope it helps,
Jennifer Wallace, PT

Hi all,

I have received some new interest in this swimming discussion and will send out the info as requested.

Just FYI:  the email address and website that are on the previous discussion is a bit outdated.  The most current info to reach me is:  www.DuchenneTherapyNetwork.com  and jmwallacept@gmail.com

Thank you!  I hope you all and your children are well!

Jennifer

Have sent you an email. Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2018   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service