PPMD Community

Before you know it, summer will be here. And now that we are beginning to see real signs of spring, many of us are making early plans for the summer. What are your summer traveling tips?

• What considerations do you need to make when traveling with a child who has Duchenne?
  • How does that determine your choices for summer vacation?
  • What advice would you have for families traveling for the first time with a scooter or wheelchair? 

Share your stories and advice with other families who can learn from your experiences!

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am actually traveling in the middle of June and some advice to all of you out there that are considering to take a vacation is that it is possible to enjoy a vacation while having this debilitating disease. From all of my experience of traveling on a plane is that it could be stressful if you don't plan accordingly. I would really try to think about what you would need for the amount of time you want to travel, and pack extra things. You also need to take in consideration where you are going for the vacation, for example, if you want to travel to Alaska you should pack warm clothing, you wouldn't want to pack short-sleeved shirts going to Alaska.

If you are traveling by plane:

• try to book the flight at least one or 2 months in advance
  • arrange transportation by either renting a van or using the transportation services (like taxis) of where you're going
  • there is a process of actually getting into the plane; first off the individual in the wheelchair will drive down the tunnel prior of going into the plane, secondly the individual would need to be transferred into a airplane wheelchair to go into the plane (a narrow looking wheelchair), thirdly the individual would transfer into a regular airplane seat, forth thing to know is that you will be 1st to board the plane and last to get off

The most important advice for a first-time traveler would be to relax because people in our condition travel all the time, if the airport is not accommodating to you, you have the right to complain. Advocating for yourself is also pretty important to know, because people can't read our minds.

We travel all the time, and the biggest thing you need to do is give yourself extra time.  Most layover are 1 hour, but think about being the last off the plane, and needed to move around the airport.  I would give yourself at least 1 1/2 hours.   Much less stress.

Also if you are really concerned, talk to your travel agent, or look for a travel agent that specializes in travel for those with Disabilities.  (Yes they exist, my mom is one.)  She makes sure the hotel has assessable rooms, and arranges for sky cabs to help were clients through the airport, and helps make sure your needs are going to be met.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service