i need ideas on how to plan activities for a son who is 10 with dmd, and very limited physically and 4 younger kids who want to run hard ( one of which is almost 8 with DMD also, but if we hadn't had him tested as a baby, we'd never know, but thats another discussion) we are not able to do the typical playground, hiking, biking ect that folks do in the summer. this is our first summer that austin has has so much trouble moving around.

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We did some jet skiing on a lake while on vacation. Our son and daughter loved it!
Hi Jenn,

I don't know if these ideas will work for your kids in your situation but here is a list of things we do. Also, I am at home with them so these things are easier, perhaps not so much for working moms. Our adjenda isn't elaborate or anything out of the ordinary but summer goes by fast and the boys are happy. Our son with DMD is 10 soon to be 11.

-Swim, daily if possible for several hours
-Water Gun or Balloon fights
-Experimental Garden, they do whatever they want or can, we do the rest to keep it going. We used a small patch of our side yard for this, nothing too large
-Daily Reading, the boys get "points" for reading and so many "points" earns a new toy
-Walk or play with the Dogs, and we use the scooter
-Sports, Riding Bikes or Walks or Outings at Zoo's ect, again using the scooter when necessary
-Spring Cleaning, even our DMD son can do a little something to pitch in, to earn more "points"
-Boy Scouts, our troup goes thru summer
-Netflix, movies they love to see
-Wii
-Invite School Friends over, which seems to be their favorite

The list is simple, but simple things are the best things,
cheryl
thanks for your advice, i wish we lived near you...we do some of the things on your list, i am a stay at home mom as well, and we have personal care hours for the boys so i have help here, i guess sometimes we just get bored with the same old stuff ( austin likes to go go go !) we have an indoor pool, they swim alot, and we are hoping to buy a newfoundland puppy this summer so that will be fun. as for the wii, we were considering it for the boys but i was afraid it involves too much movement, have you found it to be appropriate?
thanks again, keep the ideas flowing :)
cheryl cliff said:
Hi Jenn,

I don't know if these ideas will work for your kids in your situation but here is a list of things we do. Also, I am at home with them so these things are easier, perhaps not so much for working moms. Our adjenda isn't elaborate or anything out of the ordinary but summer goes by fast and the boys are happy. Our son with DMD is 10 soon to be 11.

-Experimental Garden, they do whatever they want or can, we do the rest to keep it going. We used a small patch of our side yard for this, nothing too large
-Daily Reading, the boys get "points" for reading and so many "points" earns a new toy
-Sports, Riding Bikes or Walks or Outings at Zoo's ect, again using the scooter when necessary
-Spring Cleaning, even our DMD son can do a little something to pitch in, to earn more "points"
-Wii

cheryl
we did buy a boat for the summer ( a pontoon...) but austin does have a need for speed, how old is your son? did he have the neck control for the jet ski? we considered it, but weren't sure if it would hurt him ( he does ride a 4- wheeler quite well at home)

Tina said:
We did some jet skiing on a lake while on vacation. Our son and daughter loved it!
We found the Wii to be easy and tame. Of course it depends on the game but it involves some arm movement and allows the boys to compete in sports which they can't do together physically. It works well for us.

jenn said:
thanks for your advice, i wish we lived near you...we do some of the things on your list, i am a stay at home mom as well, and we have personal care hours for the boys so i have help here, i guess sometimes we just get bored with the same old stuff ( austin likes to go go go !) we have an indoor pool, they swim alot, and we are hoping to buy a newfoundland puppy this summer so that will be fun. as for the wii, we were considering it for the boys but i was afraid it involves too much movement, have you found it to be appropriate?
thanks again, keep the ideas flowing :)
cheryl cliff said:
Hi Jenn,

-Wii

cheryl
there are plenty of games on the wii that your son will be able to play. my 13(wheelchair, non ambulatory) year old loves it. he even can play rock band for a bit. we like to go to the zoos in the summer. hope this helps!
thanks, i think we will make the purchase, what games do you suggest?

Meg said:
there are plenty of games on the wii that your son will be able to play. my 13(wheelchair, non ambulatory) year old loves it. he even can play rock band for a bit. we like to go to the zoos in the summer. hope this helps!
We haven't gotten around to it yet this year, but we are planning to get a bike stroller (that pull behind a bike) so we can start riding bikes as a family. Some of them that I have seen have a weight limit that goes up to 100 lbs. There may be one out there that has a higher limit. Last summer, we enjoyed taking little trips to our local 7Eleven for slurpies. We were quite the sight. My oldest would lead the way on his bike, then our 6 year old with DMD on a battery operated 4 wheeler, then our 4 year old on her little bike, I would follow walking/running with our infant in a stroller, and my husband would rollerblade in the street and act as crossing guard.
We also bowl occasionally. Our bowling alley has a metal ramp thing (probably for the elderly) that we set his ball on top, and our son adjusts it so its angled how he wants, and he gives it a little push. The ball rolls down this thing and down the lane. Of course, we assist him with the little step up to the lane.
Oh, and the Wii is great! Many games require very little movement. Our son rocks at bowling and gold. He beats everyone.

Danelle
Here in AK there are several trails around some schools we go hiking on, some are paved and some aren't, my daughter brings her scooter or bike and we grab a lunch and hit the trail...The zoo is great...Friday nights are Mexican night at our house, I get the kids involved making what they can, setting the table...They even will do yard work, Luke pulls the wagon to the burn barrel while Jenna unloads. Hope I helped...

Misty

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service