Tomorrow morning Max (2 years old) and I go to the orthotist to pick up his night splints. Any suggestions on how to get my stubborn boy to wear them? If he fights me, I may just put them on while he's asleep initially. He can be a tough cookie, and often throws fits if I change his shirt, put on different shoes than he wants, etc., so I'm worried about this transition.

I'm going to sneak the receptionist a gift bag before we go in to see the orthotist and ask her to put his "dinosaur boots" (that's the pattern he chose) into the bag so he feels they are a present and exciting when he sees them for the first time. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Veronica,

I'm sure in the last month we've figured out a great way to get Max to wear them. I love the gift bag idea, I hope it worked. I had a hard time with Wyatt too. This is what we did. Wyatt wears like a 24 month PJ. So what I did, was bought the light weight foot PJs in like a 4T (these PJS they sell at Target and they are skinny, that's the best way to describe them). So the 4T were really long, but fit him pretty good on top. So I was able to put the braces on and then put the feet of the PJs over them. We got them in Feb and Wyatt wasn't able to work zippers very well yet. It took about 4 1/2 months of that until I tried without the Jammies (summer came and it got too hot for footed PJS) and now he doesn't even notice. He brings them to me and "helps" me put them on.

About the stretching. That was hard for Wyatt too. He still really gets mad sometimes. I try different distractions. Sometimes the pictures on my cell phone work, sometimes sponge bob works, sometimes giving him a snack works. I pretty much try anything. Sometimes I feel like he thinks I'm doing it to be mean. We usually do it for like 5 minutes on a bad day and 10 minutes on a good day. It breaks my heart, but I tell myself that I'm really helping, even if it seems like he hates me at the time.

Have an amazing day.

Melissa
we try to make the stretching into a game, i have learned that if everyone in the house partcipates it goes better, yes that means i have to do stretching also and i let him try to make me stretch, and the other kids but it makes him want to do them he is pretty competive with sister so though she is younger she is great at this she "lets him win" she tells me well i know i can (for example) run faster but it makes jonathan happy to win so i let him sometimes, what a great 5 year old.but with the night splints he does ok as long as they fit right, red marks should not be there if they are they don't fit right, and you can get new ones at their age every 6 months, at first we did only a few hours a day after streching and alot of the time he would just fall asleep so i left them on and he got used to them. we were also told stretch good before putting on it makes them a little more comfortable. good luck.
We were suppose to get ours, today....i was having the same question so i am glad that it was here already on discussion. I have a question, our neurologist just wrote us an RX for AFO's to be used as night splints, so i then made an appointment @ hanger, we were on our way there and they called me to tell me that they dont normally cary his size, due to not seeing many toddlers.....?! Am I going through the right process???? should i have my son be seen by a foot Dr? please help me..My sons Dr's arnet much help and it was recommended in june, i keep getting a run around from the doctors/therapist.
Not sure I understand the not having his size thing. The orthotist should cast your son's feet to then make the night braces to fit him exactly. You might want to see if they can call Ted at The Brace Shop (another Hangar affiliate) in Cincinnati.

Leeandra Arhdeacon said:
We were suppose to get ours, today....i was having the same question so i am glad that it was here already on discussion. I have a question, our neurologist just wrote us an RX for AFO's to be used as night splints, so i then made an appointment @ hanger, we were on our way there and they called me to tell me that they dont normally cary his size, due to not seeing many toddlers.....?! Am I going through the right process???? should i have my son be seen by a foot Dr? please help me..My sons Dr's arnet much help and it was recommended in june, i keep getting a run around from the doctors/therapist.
Not sure I understand it either. An individually made cast is typical, so it shouldn't matter. Evenso, while many of our boys are not officially toddlers, they are still pretty small when starting their splints. Small feet are a regular occurrence.

Laurie Paschal said:
Not sure I understand the not having his size thing. The orthotist should cast your son's feet to then make the night braces to fit him exactly. You might want to see if they can call Ted at The Brace Shop (another Hangar affiliate) in Cincinnati.

Leeandra Arhdeacon said:
Thank you for your response, the hanger in my area was VERY CONFUSED, so i gave them a little education..called the neurologist,PT and finally they rescheduled him for measurements and an impression...wheeewww. Thank you for the imput.

Cathy Johnson said:
Not sure I understand it either. An individually made cast is typical, so it shouldn't matter. Evenso, while many of our boys are not officially toddlers, they are still pretty small when starting their splints. Small feet are a regular occurrence.

Laurie Paschal said:

Leeandra Arhdeacon said:
alternate one boot at a time.  Left one night and right the next.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service