My son Tyler has been complaining more and more of his thigh muscles tightening up.  Are there any stretches that I should be doing to help loosen these muscles up?  He is having greater difficulty raising his leg off the ground to step over things. 

Views: 523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Front or back of the thigh?  Straight leg stretches are good for the back of the leg, but I don't know any for the front...

He said both the front and back get tight.

Lori Ware said:

Front or back of the thigh?  Straight leg stretches are good for the back of the leg, but I don't know any for the front...

To stretch the front of the thigh : Have Tyler lie flat on his tummy with his back straight (aligned), and one at a time, bend his leg at the knee as much as you can so that his heel touches or comes close to his butt, and hold for 20-30 seconds at a time.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.  I'll try that tonight at bedtime.

Andrea Cleary said:

To stretch the front of the thigh : Have Tyler lie flat on his tummy with his back straight (aligned), and one at a time, bend his leg at the knee as much as you can so that his heel touches or comes close to his butt, and hold for 20-30 seconds at a time.

I hope it helps.

Hi Vicky, we do one where Dylan lies on his back and I lift a leg up, bend the knee and bend the ankle up at the same time and push leg towards the buttocks and hold for 30 secs.  Seems to give a good stretch to his thigh and hamstring as well. Regards Debbie

This is a great document with pictures of the basic stretches for DMD boys. Hope this helps! We also do our stretches in the pool, with Zach laying back on a pool noodle.

Attachments:

Thanks Tamara for the information.

Hi Vicky, our physio directed me to the UK MD site and I tried to download a booklet with some great stretches it seems for all stages of DMD.  You need to join their site and then go to their downloads section and there is a 19 page document and very comprehensive.  I had problems getting these docs, if you do as well, let me know your email and I will email you what she sent me.  Kind regards  Debbie

Debby, I would love to have any additional stretches that would benefit our precious 12 year old with DMD. He is getting to a more difficult stage right now, emotionally, and physically. We are very on board with any and all help we can get. My email is: judymartin1950@gmail.com. Thank you and God Bless You.

Debbie Schneider said:

Hi Vicky, our physio directed me to the UK MD site and I tried to download a booklet with some great stretches it seems for all stages of DMD.  You need to join their site and then go to their downloads section and there is a 19 page document and very comprehensive.  I had problems getting these docs, if you do as well, let me know your email and I will email you what she sent me.  Kind regards  Debbie

I found that staying warm is very helpful, keeping muscles from being tight I suppose and therefor more ability to do things. I find keeping warm is a major factor in keeping up my strength. This is my experience living with MD all my life. I'm in my 40's now.

Thanks Tom!  I have been using a warm heating pad to warm his legs before performing his stretches and that seems to help.  His aquatic therapist recommended this. It allows his leg muscles to stretch better than when they are cold.  Plus, he prefers to have me spray his legs with warm water before doing his stretches in the shower.  It seems to help.

Tom said:

I found that staying warm is very helpful, keeping muscles from being tight I suppose and therefor more ability to do things. I find keeping warm is a major factor in keeping up my strength. This is my experience living with MD all my life. I'm in my 40's now.

Its good to keep warm all day long so the muscles don't tighten up as much and its easier to move around and keep active.

Vickie Bielefeldt said:

Thanks Tom!  I have been using a warm heating pad to warm his legs before performing his stretches and that seems to help.  His aquatic therapist recommended this. It allows his leg muscles to stretch better than when they are cold.  Plus, he prefers to have me spray his legs with warm water before doing his stretches in the shower.  It seems to help.

Tom said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service