Streamline Re-Eval of IEP vs. Full Scale IEP Evaluation

Just received letter in mail today. Here is a quote from the letter:

Bradley is due for the 3 yr. re-evaluation of his IEP. We can either streamline this re-evaluation or have a full scale evaluation done. A streamline re-eval is recommended if you feel his current program is appropriate. If you have concerns about his current program, then we need to do a full scale evaluation. This would involve the psychologist from Tri-County completing an assessment of Bradley.

I do feel that a full scale evaluation needs to be done.
1. He is going from the elementary school building to the Jr. H.S./H.S. building. He will have a whole new routine of switching classes for every class and he will have a whole new set of teachers.

2. I'm also concerned about OT, who has been coming to re-evaluate him every quarter. I was asking Bradley if the OT person still comes every quarter to evaluate him and he said, "Well mom he came at the end of 5th grade but I heard him tell Mrs. Stark, 'He's doing fine. I'm not going to come see him anymore." I asked Bradley this because the last two times we have been at Cincinnati Children's they have commented on his finger contractures and I'm wondering why the OT has never addressed it. Bradley tells me, "Well all the OT does is look at my handwriting and he gives me blocks to stack. He thinks my handwriting is very good."

3. The service dog has been something new for this year, 6th grade and that is going well but I'd like to increase the days at school that Sky attends. Now he is attending 2 days weekly and I'd like to increase that to 3 days weekly. They are actually working well with us on letting Bradley have a service dog. The school also asked that we let Bradley keep her during recess and lunch because she barks the entire time she is kenneled. Sky staying with Bradley seems to be going much better than putting her in the kennel.

4. We are getting into a school stage where it will be crucial for Bradley to have the most appropriate IEP. More than likely, we are nearing the wheel chair stage-something I am surprised is not here yet.

MY concern about doing a Full Scale Eval may sound crazy but I'm afraid they might find him inelligibe again. It took us forever to get his IEP in the first place. They finally let him have an IEP at the end of 3rd grade. I guess there is no way that could happen right. One thing about it is that I have some very good progress notes from Cincinnati Childrens that would be helping in them looking at the entire situation all over again.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Lisa,
First..if OT is in his IEP then the OT can not just decide to not see him. That takes a change of the IEP and would be illegal for the OT to do this. I would check with someone on this immediately.
I don't think there is anyway that Bradley could be denied an IEP. With a DMD diagnoses ALONE, he qualifies and at his age and nearing a chair, he MOST certainly qualifies.
Are the changes that you are looking for only going to happen with a full scale evaluation or can they be made within the IEP? For example, can you just reconvene the IEP and have it written that the OT see's him more and that sky be allowed at school, etc? Remember too that you sign off on the goals for Bradley, educationally, PT and OT...so if the OT's goals do not include working on finger constriction, then you don't have to sign. Make sure it is in there.
I am not sure the best way for you to go, but I also don't know that you need another full eval. In Louisiana, our re-evals are just to be certain that the child still needs services, yes it can result in an increase in services, but so can a full IEP meeting.
I would demand an IEP meeting at his new school BEFORE school gets out so that you can educate the staff and teachers about DMD and Bradley (and Sky).
Good luck!
Lori
Lisa,
Do the full scale evaluation. Do it on the basis that he is embarking upon a big transition and you want to have all the information you need to make the best decisions for him. They can not test him out, first of all, because he qualifies as Orthopedically Impaired. Don't let fear stop you from getting the valuable information you need about your son. If you deny the full scale eval, it will be harder to get it done later. The triennial is the best time to reevaluate his current progress and future needs.

Kelli
Hi Lisa,
My son had an IEP until he was in 6th grade and then the school had him re-evaluated and moved him to a 504 Plan instead. The reason they gave was because his grades were excellent and he had no learning issues. With a 504 Plan, my son receives any services or technology he needs to succeed in school. He gets PT, OT, laptop, and one-on-one aide etc. So if your son has learning or behavior issues, then he should definitely stay with the IEP. The school must provide an IEP or a 504 Plan.
Beverly
We just had Justins full 3-yr eval, but we did it in a modified way. We had all of the appropriate people do full evaluations on him, then do their written reports and recommendations and send them to us. We then reviewed them to see what we thought would need to be changed or not changed. We sent the co-op who runs the special ed services, the principal, vice principal, and his teachers our thoughts on what we wanted. they reviewed them, we set the meeting, and it took all of 30min to agree on everything and have it put into place. I know it probably isnt supposed to work that way, but it works for us. We have had some long, drawn out 3-4hour meetings before and in doing it this way, we have been able to avoid those and get things done quickly. When Justin was transitioning schools, from our intermediate(3,4,and 5) to our jr high(6,7,and8), we had a meeting in April before the end of the school year to put things in place for the transition, and then we met again at the end of september to make sure things were going smoothly and to see what needed to be changed.

--Samantha
I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this. I will probably need to call her next week and give her an answer. I'm leaning toward the full scale evaluation. We did his last annual update in May of last year. The Occupational Therapist should have been by to see him 1-2 times so far this year and Bradley has not seen him. I'm going to send an email to his teacher and ask if OT has been in contact with him.
Lisa,
From now on I would suggest that you have the teacher keep a notebook that logs anytime Bradley gets serviced by pt/ot...You can have the notebook sent home every Friday or go in and check it to make sure he gets what he is supposed to...I have used this before to get comp time for missed sessions...it helps having everything on paper.

Kelli

Lisa Jones said:
I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this. I will probably need to call her next week and give her an answer. I'm leaning toward the full scale evaluation. We did his last annual update in May of last year. The Occupational Therapist should have been by to see him 1-2 times so far this year and Bradley has not seen him. I'm going to send an email to his teacher and ask if OT has been in contact with him.
Thanks Kelli. Sounds like a great idea.

Kelli Miller said:
Lisa,
From now on I would suggest that you have the teacher keep a notebook that logs anytime Bradley gets serviced by pt/ot...You can have the notebook sent home every Friday or go in and check it to make sure he gets what he is supposed to...I have used this before to get comp time for missed sessions...it helps having everything on paper.

Kelli

Lisa Jones said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service