My son, 9yrs old, just started using a Bi-Pap.  I'm having a terrible time getting him to wear it for even an hour at night.  He has very bad sensory issues and I feel like this is a losing battle.  Anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions?  The Bi-Pap has a computer chip in it that they are going to read in a couple months.   If he hasn't worn it for at least 5 nights a week for 4 hours the insurance company is not going to pay for it.  The machine costs $400 a month and is a rent to own for a year.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure you probably tried this Karen but have you slipped it on him after he is asleep? Also can you give him some Melatonin so he sleeps better and maybe it won't bother him as much? I guess these insurance companies don't care if it takes the boys a while to get used to!
Are you using a mask or nasal pillows, my sons are much older, but they use nasal pillows, I know when my sons first started using the bipap we started at a lower setting for the Ipap number and gradually worked our way up to what the doctor wanted (with doc's permission), that way they can get use to it, does your bipap have ramp on it, we also utilized that in the beginning too, My sons did have a problem finding the right mask at first, but I took them in to Apria and had the RT try different ones on with the machine. Neither one of my sons like the full mask or nasal mask.
Hi Karen,

My son, Nicholas, is 13 and has been using a Bi-Pap for almost a year now. He had a lot of trouble adjusting in the beginning and didn't wear it at all either. We did what Susan did, started at the lowest settings and gradually increased them. The respiratory therapist would raise them once a week - it took about seven weeks to get to the correct settings. For the first couple weeks I also gave him a certain amount of time to keep it on before he had the "option" to take it off. After a couple days he started to fall asleep before the time was up. It did take a long time before he would wear it the whole night, but now he doesn't take it off until he gets up in the morning. We also had to try a few different masks but he ended up feeling most comfortable with the nasal pillows. They work great except for when he is sick and can't breathe through his nose - in which case we've found that turning up the humidifier and also spraying his nose with a little saline spray before bed seems to help (he won't wear the mask at all, even when he's sick). He can't sleep without the Bi-Pap now. Good luck to you!!!
I have tried putting it on him when he is asleep and he wakes up right away. He's been taking Melatonin for while now.
The medical supplier we got the machine from said there was only one mask that he was approved to use and he could not try anything else. He really wanted to try the nose pillows but they said no. The pulmonogist in Cinc. said that was rediculous and there should be many masks for him to try. We are limited to just this one medical supplier because of our HMO. Did you all have any trouble being able to choose from different masks and the nose pillows?
Not really - the respiratory therapist brought out a few to try, although not all at the same time. It took awhile for her to get the right size, but once she did it worked great. I think the nasal pillows are the ones the boys like the most because they are the least intrustive on the face, especially in the summer when a mask seems like it would be too hot. I bet you can Google the type of Bi-Pap you have or go on their website and find the different accessories. The nasal pillow part just attaches to the hose you have - it might not be very expensive. Our Bi-Pap isn't covered by insurance so we have to pay for all the future parts and repairs on it - it's something I have to look into soon because the filters and hoses wear out after awhile. I'm going to check into it too. I think your medical supplier is wrong though and you should be able to get what is most comfortable for your son through him.

Karen Barnett said:
I have tried putting it on him when he is asleep and he wakes up right away. He's been taking Melatonin for while now.
The medical supplier we got the machine from said there was only one mask that he was approved to use and he could not try anything else. He really wanted to try the nose pillows but they said no. The pulmonogist in Cinc. said that was rediculous and there should be many masks for him to try. We are limited to just this one medical supplier because of our HMO. Did you all have any trouble being able to choose from different masks and the nose pillows?
I think I would fight the insurance company on the mask issue, I would call and see what needs to be done, in order for your son to be successful with the use of the bi-pap machine he needs to be able to be comfortable, our insurance company has a nurse I can call if I have an issue of any kind with the insurance company, I know it don't necessarily mean you will get what you want, as he gets older and his lung function gets weaker, the bi-pap is a good way to stay non-invasive with his pulmonary support, I know your son is only 9, but something to think about, then the doctors start wanting to trach, my sons are 20 and 24 and have both decided to stay non-invasive, they both use bipap at night, my 20 year old also using a LTV950 during some of day, he just started doing this, so its not full time during day yet and then uses bipap too during day, 24 year old uses bipap mainly at night, but is starting to use bipap some during day as he is getting a little more breathless, this is not to say I am against traching, its a personal decision and hard to make, I know a few boys locally who have done well with trach too. Good Luck.
Hi
We tried bi-pap for 18 months with no success. My son moves quite a bit while he sleeps and the hose would pull the pillows out of his nose. The mask would get out of place. We tried everything. We tried 3 different masks. His FVC is over 100% of predicted. I convinced our pulmonologist that the apnea and headaches in the morning were from tongue obstruction and not muscle weakness. He sleeps on his side and hasn't had a morning headache in over a year. I'm not sure what we are going to do when his pulmonary system weakens and his tongue makes things worse. We are exploring different dental options. No decisions yet. I understand your frustration. PS the respiratory therapist that works with the durable equipement company should help you find a mask that works.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service